Havant holidaymaker hospitalised after disaster trip to Egypt

David Cooper who ended up in hospital in Egypt, pictured with his wife Hayley
David Cooper who ended up in hospital in Egypt, pictured with his wife Hayley
0
Have your say

A FATHER was hospitalised and given eight sets of medicines after a dream trip to Egypt ended in disaster.

David Cooper, from Havant, fell ill with gastroenteritis at the four-star Sinbad Aqua Resort in June and has now been told by his GP he may have developed a long-term health condition.

The 45-year-old was holidaying with his wife Hayley and son Ronnie, 13, when he started to feel ill six days into the TUI-booked trip.

He now wants answers about how and why he fell ill.

David said: ‘I had a high fever and diarrhoea and was in a really bad way.

‘I had no option but to go to the doctor and almost immediately he said I would need to go to hospital.

‘I couldn’t believe it when I was diagnosed with gastroenteritis. The illness completely ruined the rest of the holiday.

‘It was almost surreal being in hospital and it’s shocking to think I needed so much medication.

‘We even had to leave our son on his own with other guests looking after him – it was a nightmare.’

David is one of six holidaymakers affected by issues at the Sinbad Aqua Resort this summer and whose circumstances are being investigated by law firm Irwin Mitchell.

Following his return to the UK and a visit to his GP, it is now thought David has developed irritable bowel syndrome and he is undergoing further investigations.

David said: ‘I’m so frustrated by everything that has happened as a result of the illness. It not only ruined my holiday but now seems to have left me with a long-term health condition.

‘After everything I’ve faced I feel I deserve some answers about how the illness emerged and whether it could have been avoided.

‘I truly hope steps can be taken to prevent anyone else facing the issues that I have.’

Jatinder Paul, who is representing the affected holidaymakers at Irwin Mitchell, said the firm is hugely concerned by the accounts provided to them, including reports there were many others at the hotel who were ill.

He said: ‘No one should have to face what our clients have been through and we are determined to ensure they get their voices heard.’

A TUI UK spokesperson said: ‘We’re sorry to hear of Mr Cooper’s experience. As this is now a legal matter it would be inappropriate to comment at this time.

‘We’d like to reassure customers that we regularly audit all of the hotels we feature in respect of health and safety, including hygiene.’