Finlay claims debut try but Gosport slide to defeat

Gosport & Fareham remain marooned at the bottom of London one south following their 46-18 defeat at fellow strugglers Dover.

Monday, 28th November 2016, 6:30 am
Updated Tuesday, 29th November 2016, 10:31 am
Gosport & Fareham chief Barry Bridgman. Picture: Neil Marshall (161436-4)

Head coach Barry Bridgman, who was forced to travel with a severely depleted squad, felt the final scoreline failed to do his side’s efforts justice.

‘We actually led at half-time – for the first time this season, turning around 18-15 up,’ he said.

‘Unfortunately, we had to play up the steep slope in the second half and that took its toll.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

‘Dover know how to play their pitch and possess a big pack of forwards.

‘It was far more difficult for us to shunt them uphill and eventually we tired.

‘Once that happened gaps started to appear but we didn’t disgrace ourselves.

‘They scored seven points at the death which made the scoreline look worse.

‘On paper it looks like we suffered another hammering but that was far from the case.

‘All the players who travelled gave it 100 per cent and you can’t ask any more than that.

‘It isn’t easy when you have 16 players unavailable for one reason or another.’

In the first half, the visitors scored three tries – including one from debut-making winger Sam Finlay.

In Hampshire one, Fareham Heathens slipped to a disappointing 20-5 defeat at Farnborough.

Winger Robbie Connell grabbed a brace of early tries to set Locks Heath Pumas on their way to a 38-29 Hampshire two win at Aldershot & Fleet.

The result ended Pumas recent losing run.

Connell popped up to score in the opening five minutes, with debut-making Liam Harridan and skipper Robbie English quickly adding two more.

On 20 minutes, Connell grabbed his second score of the match – with PJ English knocking over his second conversion.

That gave Pumas a 24-0 advantage.

A poor spell before half-time allowed the home side to hit back with two tries and a penalty.

The Pumas opened the second half strongly.

They scored tries through Lee Gies and George Braid but once again missed tackles allowed the hosts two more scores.

‘We started both halves well and played some good rugby,’ said team manager George Winch.

‘Unfortunately we couldn’t maintain our focus and we need to speak with the players to find out why.

‘It was still pleasing to pick up a five-point haul.’