Boss points to hectic schedule as Moneys crash out

Moneyfields suffered Wessex League Cup disappointment as they lost 2-1 to 10-man Portland United at Dover Road.

Monday, 14th March 2016, 7:00 am
Jake Raine in action for Moneyfields against Portland. Picture Ian Hargreaves (160348-7)

The division one Dorset outfit capitalised on two defensive errors to send their premier division hosts tumbling out of the competition.

Moneys boss Dave Carter blamed his team’s hectic schedule.

‘This was our fifth game in nine days and it showed,’ said the manager.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

‘It wasn’t so much the physical side more the players were mentally tired.

‘We gifted them both their goals with bad mistakes.’

Portland led at half-time with a goal that resulted from a poor attempted back-header to the goalkeeper.

Moneyfields equalised on the hour through a Connor Bailey penalty – after a visiting player was sent off for deliberately handling on the goalline.

But with 15 minutes remaining, the home side were guilty of committing another basic error which presented Portland with their winning goal.

Horndean boss Craig Pearce was left bemoaning a lack of attacking threat as his Five Heads Park side slumped to a 3-1 defeat at Lymington Town.

He said: ‘We never looked like we were going to score.

‘It looked a completely different team out there from our last few games.

‘We huffed and puffed but lacked the necessary quality in the final third.

‘It didn’t help we were also guilty of giving the ball away cheaply.’

After trailing 1-0 at the break, Mark Smith struck early in the second period to level the scores.

The New Forest side finished the stronger, though.

And they scored twice in the final 25 minutes to secure the victory.

Cowes Sports put the skids under AFC Portchester’s promotion ambitions with a 1-0 success at Westwood Park.

Royals manager Graham Rix blamed missed opportunities for the loss to the Isle of Wight outfit.

‘We had chances to win the game but lacked a cutting edge,’ said the former Pompey boss.

‘I can’t fault the effort and commitment of the players who kept going right to the end.

‘But in the attacking third we lacked the quality in our final pass or cross.’

The Royals conceded what proved to be the winner midway through the first half following some sloppy defending.

Steve Ramsey had the best chance to level in the second period but blazed over from 10 yards.