Dan Strugnell strike secures much-needed win for Gosport Borough against 10-man Weston-super-Mare

Gosport Borough secured their first Southern League Premier South win of the decade by beating 10-man Weston-super-Mare 1-0 at Privett Park.

Tuesday, 28th January 2020, 11:11 pm
Updated Tuesday, 28th January 2020, 11:25 pm
Dan Strugnell grabbed Gosport's winner. Picture: Neil Marshall (180704-0

It was a much-needed victory for Lee Molyneaux's side as they bid to get their play-off push back on track.

Dan Strugnell provided the vital strike, volleying in 15 minutes from time.

The home side’s task was made easier when the visitors were reduced to 10 men before half-time as Cardiff City loanee Lloyd Humphries was sent off for a two-footed challenge on Marley Ridge.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Borough had suffered a double blow before kick-off with the loss of goalkeeper Pat O'Flaherty and defender Ryan Woodford - both failing to recover from knocks picked up in the 2-2 draw against Merthyr Town last time out.

Goalkeeper coach Alan Walker-Harris was drafted in between the posts while Theo Lewis reappeared amongst the substitutes after a spell out injured.

It was the visitors who had the first opening on 14 minutes when Walker-Harris expertly pushed away a Bradley Ash volley.

Weston-super-Mare went close again six minutes later.

Ash clipped a ball into the area and Humphries got in front of his defender but volleyed narrowly wide.

Things turned dramatically in Borough's favour when Humphries was shown a straight red card four minutes before the break.

But despite being a man short, it was the Seagulls who threatened first at the start of the second half.

Mike Symons knocked the ball down to James Waite, who drove into the box and fired a right-footed shot just wide.

Rudi Plummer squandered a great chance after 56 minutes, firing wide from six yards.

Still the depleted visitors threatened and on 74 minutes Waite went close with a curling shot.

But the home side finally made the breakthrough 14 minutes from the end as Strugnell volleyed in a Charlie Davis free-kick.

Manager Molyneaux is currently away working in Italy but had the game streamed to him by the Borough media team.

‘This is a huge win for us confidence-wise,’ he said.

‘We had got ourselves into a bit of a rut but hopefully we can kick on from here.’