On this day: Ron Rafferty completes Portsmouth fight back at Everton

The Pompey History Society looks back on what was making the headlines in the Football Mail on November 10, 1956.

Wednesday, 7th November 2018, 1:12 pm
Updated Wednesday, 7th November 2018, 2:16 pm
The front page of the Football Mail from Saturday, November 10, 1956
The front page of the Football Mail from Saturday, November 10, 1956

Despite being outplayed by Everton for most of the match, Pompey managed to earn a draw at Goodison Park in front of a crowd of 37,406.

They were behind after nine minutes when an attempted clearance fell to Wally Fielding, who gave Norman Uprichard no chance with a well-placed shot.

It was all Everton and soon Jimmy Dickinson's tackle from behind sent Jimmy Gauld sprawling in the area.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

But Tommy Jones' penalty kick struck the upright.

Gauld lobbed Everton into a two-goal lead on 47 minutes but Johnny Gordon quickly reduced the deficit.

Ron Rafferty's diving header nine minutes from time saved a point.

Everton: Albert Dunlop, Don Donovan, Jim Tansey, Ken Birch, Tommy Jones, Peter Farrell, Tony McNamara, Jimmy Gauld, George Kirby, Wally Fielding, Tommy Eglington

Pompey: Norman Uprichard, Tommy McGhee, Alex Wilson, Reg Pickett, Phil Gunter, Jimmy Dickinson, Peter Harris, Johnny Gordon, Gordon Dale, Ron Rafferty, Jackie Henderson

Ivor Evans and Ray Crawford were both on target as Pompey Reserves defeated Southampton Reserves 2-0 at Fratton Park in the London Combination.

The Pompey team comprised of Ray Drinkwater, Colin Osmond, Bill Albury, Johnny Phillips, Cyril Rutter, Brian Carter, Harry Penk, Ivor Evans, Ray Crawford, Jackie Robertson and Ron Newman.

Pompey A were beaten 5-0 by Alton in the Hampshire League but Pompey Juniors beat Fulham Juniors 4-2.

Tottenham Hotspur's 3-1 win at home to Newcastle United put them top of Division One '“ replacing Manchester United who went down 2-0 to Bolton Wanderers at Burnden Park.

Colin Booth hit four goals in Wolves' 5-2 success over Arsenal at Molineux.

Leicester City's 2-2 draw at Fulham put the Foxes three points clear at the top of Division Two as second-placed Stoke City lost to the odd goal at West Ham.

Southampton went to the top of Division Three (South) after a strike from Derek Reeves in the second half delivered them a 1-0 win over Aldershot at The Dell.

In the same division, AFC Bournemouth went down 2-1 at Queens Park Rangers and Brighton shared a goalless draw at Newport County.

Hartlepool drew 1-1 at Workington to keep a point ahead of Accrington Stanley at the top of Division Three (North).

Portsmouth Boys entered the fourth round of the English Schools Trophy by beating Woking 1-0 at Fratton Park.

Don Revie, the Manchester City inside-forward and half-back, completed a move to Sunderland for a fee of £20,000.