McAllister: It was too late when we started to open up Taunton

Ryan Pennery scored for Gosport Borough. Picture: Duncan Shepherd
Ryan Pennery scored for Gosport Borough. Picture: Duncan Shepherd
Have your say

Craig McAllister praised his Gosport Borough players for battling on well but was disappointed to see them lose out 2-1 against Taunton Town at Privett Park.

As a result Borough slipped to 16th in the Southern League premier division south just four points above the relegation zone.

The player-manager admitted Borough need to find a way to win games.

He said: ‘We started positively which is what we wanted after a couple of weeks off.

‘After having chances to go ahead we found ourselves coming under a bit of pressure.

‘We dealt with that but then conceded another sloppy goal before half-time.

‘Importantly we didn't drop our heads and we certainly still felt we were in the game at half-time.

‘In the second half I changed things around a bit because I didn't think we were getting enough balls into their area.

‘There wasn't a great deal in it and then we concede another poor goal.

‘Then we started to move the ball around more and pulled a goal back towards the end.

‘By then though it was too late.’

Substitute Ryan Pennery stabbed the ball into the net late in the game to set up a tense finale.

McAllister knows his team are working very hard to turn things around.

He added: ‘We need to start winning football matches.

‘It is frustrating because we are working hard off the pitch.

‘By sticking together, though, we will turn the tide.’

Borough’s search for a winning formula continues at Farnborough on Wednesday night.

Bognor had to come from behind twice in beating Wingate & Finchley 4-2 at Nyewood Lane.

The Rocks fell behind to an early goal before Dan Smith headed in an equaliser from a short corner.

In the second half the visitors went in front again on 51 minutes only for Jimmy Muitt to hit back four minutes later.

Further goals from Shane Gore and Tommy Scutt confidently saw the Rocks home.

The win lifts Jack Pearce’s side back up to fourth in the Bostik League premier division.