Gosport Borough pay penalty against Salisbury

Gosport Borough paid the penalty as they slipped to a 4-1 loss against Salisbury.

Sunday, 30th September 2018, 6:49 pm
Updated Sunday, 30th September 2018, 7:59 pm
Borough boss Craig McAllister. Picture: Neil Marshall

Craig McAllister's troops conceded two spot-kicks in their first Southern League premier division south defeat of the season at Privett Park.

The Borough boss felt his side missed the chance to grab the game by the scruff of the neck in the early stages.

And he was frustrated Gosport gave away a pair of penalties against Steve Claridge's Whites.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

McAllister said: '˜For the first 20 minutes neither side looked at it.

'˜It took us 25 minutes to put together a decent bit of play.

'˜During that period we had a great chance to put our stamp on the game.

'˜Then we gave a sloppy penalty away but still felt we were in it at half-time.

'˜To be fair we came out and grabbed a quick equaliser and for five minutes we were very positive.

'Then we gave away another careless penalty and fell away.

'˜To end up conceding four goals was very disappointing.

'˜We have to stop that happening.'

Borough trailed to a 38th-minute penalty after Jordan Brooks was adjudged to have fouled Luke Hopper inside the area.

The Salisbury player stepped up to beat Borough goalkeeper Patrick O'Flaherty with his spot-kick.

The home side were back on level terms two minutes into the second half, though.

Ryan Pennery's initial effort from a free-kick was blocked but the striker scored from the rebound.

However, on 61 minutes the luckless Brooks conceded a second penalty when Dan Fitchett was brought down.

Hopper again made no mistake from the spot. 

The visitors coasted to a comfortable win by adding two more goals in the closing stages.

Meanwhile, Bognor Regis Town clawed back a two-goal deficit to snatch a 2-2 draw at Potters Bar Town in the Bostik League premier division. 

The Rocks went into the break two goals down.

However, Pompey loanee Dan Smith got the visitors back into the game three minutes after the interval before Harvey Whyte levelled for Bognor in the 77th minute with a breakaway goal.

It was a fifth away draw for the Rocks this season and keeps them in the top four.