Horndean boss Birmingham enjoying things ‘getting back to normal’ following fourth successive win

Horndean climbed back into the top three of the Wessex League Premier Division with a fourth successive win.

Sunday, 26th January 2020, 4:15 pm
Updated Sunday, 26th January 2020, 6:17 pm
Harry Jackson (red) scored his first goal since the opening day of the season. Picture: Vernon Nash

An own goal and a composed Harry Jackson finish earned Michael Birmingham’s men a 2-0 success at Brockenhurst.

'We played some great football at times and matched the home side’s enthusiasm,' said Birmingham.

'The game was played at a fast tempo at the start with both sides liking to play attacking football.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

'In the first half we gave Brockenhurst chances by conceding silly free-kicks.

'We talked about it at half-time and stopped doing that after the break.

'It is a good win and another clean sheet.'

The visitors may have been a bit fortunate with their breakthrough goal six minutes into the second half, but it arose from good pressure.

Greg Peel was fouled and Ash Howes delivered a great free-kick from which a home defender diverted the ball into his own net.

Horndean's second goal also stemmed from good pressure.

Fuzz Kanjanda forced a home player into a wayward pass and Jackson quickly latched onto the ball.

Last season’s top scorer rounded the keeper and rolled the ball into the empty net for his first goal since the opening day of the season against Lymington.

'We knew that once we started getting all our injured players back that things would get back to normal,' said Birmingham, whose side finished a best-ever second place in 2018/19.

'Now we are closer to being what we are about.'

Next up for Horndean is a mouthwatering visit to second-placed AFC Stoneham on Tuesday night.

The Purples have won their last nine Premier Division games, the latest a 5-1 thrashing of Cowes Sports on the Isle of Wight.

James Phillips’ men are aiming to become the first side this century to win the Wessex League top flight at the first time of asking.


Fareham Town were left inactive at the weekend as their scheduled league match at Solent University was postponed due to the state of the pitch.