Hutchings spot on to sink Boatmen... Fareham win thriller

DAVE CARTER praised his Moneyfields battlers as they come away from Sholing Sports with a 1-0 win.

Tuesday, 14th March 2017, 11:42 pm
Updated Friday, 24th March 2017, 11:11 am
Steve Hutchings netted the winner for Moneys

A second-half penalty from Steve Hutchings proved enough for Carter’s men to sink the Boatmen.

‘I am chuffed to bits with the way we grafted for the win,’ said the Moneys boss.

‘You couldn’t fault the effort my players put in.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

‘Sholing is never an easy place to get a result and they are a big powerful side.

‘I felt we more than matched them all over the park.

‘It is a big three points and another step towards promotion.’

The key moment came in the 54th minute when Dan Woodward was felled in the area.

Hutchings made no mistake, tucking his spot-kick into the corner of the net.

When the visitors came under pressure goalkeeper Steve Mowthorpe made two important saves.

Fareham Town won 5-3 at Andover Town.

The Reds led 1-0 at half-time courtesy of a close-range Callum Laycock goal.

After the break Bradey Norton, Curt Robbins, with a penalty, and Simon Woods saw the visitors home with the hosts having their goalkeeper sent off.

‘It was our first game in over two weeks and we showed lots of energy,’ said Reds boss Pete Stiles.

The local derby between Horndean and AFC Portchester was postponed due to a waterlogged pitch.

In division one, a Tyler Moret penalty gave Baffins Milton Rovers a 1-0 win at Tadley Calleva.

Goals by Matt Clenahan, Brendan Agnew and Jordan Neal, plus an own goal, earned United Services a 4-0 home win against Folland Sports.

Meanwhile, Petersfield suffered another miserable night in the Southern League division one central as they lost 5-0 at home to Egham Town.

Petersfield had a very bad start to the contest as they went behind on six minutes.

Elliott Carey got the goal for the visitors at Love Lane.

On 19 minutes it was 2-0 as the Rams fell further behind.

Brendan Matthew got the goal to put Egham in command.

After battling well to get towards half-time without conceding again Petersfield were undone on 39 minutes and then again on 40 minutes.

Matthew got his second and Jordan Berry struck the fourth.

To their credit, Petersfield conceded just once more in the second half as Bajram Pashaj got the fifth in the 67th minute for Egham.