Horndean boss would have taken bus home… Portchester beat Shaftesbury

Man-of-the-match Mike Turvey gets forward for AFC Portchester during the win against Shaftesbury. Picture: Vernon Nash (180684-008)
Man-of-the-match Mike Turvey gets forward for AFC Portchester during the win against Shaftesbury. Picture: Vernon Nash (180684-008)
Have your say

Michael Birmingham blasted his Horndean players for their lazy performance in their 1-1 Wessex League premier division draw at Bashley.

Harry Jackson put the visitors ahead in the second half but Jack Maloney then saw his penalty saved.

The New Forest side made them pay with a 93rd-minute equaliser.

Deans boss Michael Birmingham didn’t enjoy watching his team for much of the game.

He said: ‘The first half was so boring if I could have got on a bus and gone home i would have done..

‘Both teams were equally poor at turning over possession.

‘Our forward play was pathetic and nothing was sticking up there.

‘We were bone idle and lazy.

‘You could see their equaliser coming.’

Steve Leigh is hoping Baffins Milton Rovers can learn from their 3-1 defeat against unbeaten league leaders Sholing.

He felt the final scoreline flattered the hosts.

The Baffins boss said: ‘Though disappointed with the result I am not despondent about our performance.

‘I felt we were too nice for the goals they scored and didn't defend as well as we can.

‘We had a good chance to take the lead but unfortunately didn't take it.

‘Sholing are a very experienced side and we can learn from this.’

In an even opening Harry Wedlock fired wide for the visitors.

Dale Mason also sent a header narrowly past the post before Sholing took a 34th-minute lead.

Baffins fell further behind at the start of the second half in unfortunate circumstances.

Goalkeeper Cameron Scott fired a clearance against a home attacker and the ball sailed back over his head into the empty net.

Then 10 minutes from the end Baffins conceded a third goal.

Jason Parrish grabbed a late consolation with a terrific drive.

AFC Portchester put a difficult week behind them with a 3-1 win against Shaftesbury at the Crest Finance Stadium.

It was the first league game since the Royals parted company with joint-manager Ian Saunders following an alleged changing room bust up.

Manager Mick Catlin was pleased with the way his team coped.

He said: ‘We showed a good work ethic and application.

‘Hopefully we can use this as a platform to move forwards.’

Joel Jackson, man-of-the-match Mike Turvey and Billy Connor grabbed the goals.

On loan goalkeeper Charlie Searle made an excellent debut.

Fareham Town threw away a two-goal lead in their 2-2 draw against Andover New Street at Cams Alders.

Two-goals in the opening 12 minutes from Curt Robbins and Simon Woods put the Reds in the driving seat.

The visitors pulled a goal back before the break and then levelled matters with a 78th-minute penalty.

Goalkeeper Declan McCarthy rescued the home side with a brilliant last-minute save.