On this day: Portsmouth see 'ludicrously low' offer rejected by Celtic for international midfielder who would become Aston Villa favourite
On this day is 2006, Pompey had a £3.5m bid for Celtic midfielder Stiliyan Petrov turned down - an offer that was described as 'ludicrously low'.
The then Scottish champions wanted £5m for the 26-year-old.
Pompey were also expected to meet wage demands that matched the £32,000-a-week he earned at Celtic Park.
At the time, the free-scoring midfielder wanted to quit Celtic for the Premiership and was anxious to talk to the Blues.
BREAKING: Portsmouth eye ex-Aston Villa and Tottenham Hotspur pair as they weigh up plundering League One rivals
Portsmouth-born Mason Mount gets rare midweek night off from Chelsea duty to cheer on boyhood heroes against Cambridge United at Fratton Park
Portsmouth’s boss’ Joe Pigott admission as Ipswich Town loanee finds himself benched after Cardiff City goal
'Deserved standing ovation... Man mountain at the back... best game yet for Blues': Portsmouth match ratings from 4-1 win against Cambridge United
LATEST: Development over future of Portsmouth defender linked with Hull City, Swindon Town, Mansfield Town and Leyton Orient this summer
A Celtic source told The News: ‘Portsmouth’s offer of £3.5m for Stiliyan Petrov has been immediately rejected because it is ludicrously low.
‘We’ve made it clear we do not want to sell Petrov, and that remains the case.’
Petrov’s agent, Tony McGill, said: ‘Stiliyan still wants to leave. He has made it clear he wants to play in the Premier League. He will talk to any clubs interested in him.
‘I’m not surprised Portsmouth are interested in him.
'Portsmouth are revamping their side. But until Celtic accept their bid, he will remain a Celtic player.’
Pompey boss Harry Redknapp said: ‘I really like Petrov. He gets forward and scores goals.
'He’s a good all-round player, but there are a couple of other clubs interested.’
Petrov eventually signed for Aston Villa that summer for a £6.5m fee.
There, he linked up with former Celtic boss Martin O'Neill, who handed the Bulgarian a four-year deal.
Petrov spent seven years at Villa Park, scoring 11 goals in 2019 games.
Speaking at the time, Milan Mandaric warned Pompey would not be held to ransom just because they had cash.
Pompey’s then chairman slammed a £7m fee quoted for Steaua Bucharest midfielder Mirel Radoi.
Fratton Park’s co-owner confessed Pompey were interested in the Romanian skipper. But he warned the demands were in ‘dreamland’.
He said: ‘There is an interest in Radoi, but not at that price.
'There are lots of agents pushing up prices all over the place for players.
‘It’s living in a dreamland to think we will pay £7m for Radoi. That’s an awful lot of money.
‘We’re in discussions with a lot of players. Harry Redknapp wants to bring in a minimum of four or five.
‘But there are no firm conclusions. I don’t think anything will be done until after the World Cup.
‘I think we will see 70 per cent of the deals concluded in the early part of July, with the remaining 30 per cent before the season starts.’
Radoi also failed to make the move to Fratton Park, remaining with Steaua Bucharest, before moving to Saudi Arabian club Al-Hilal for a reported 6m euros in 2009.