Portsmouth Academy set for mass player exodus with Alfie Stanley's future in doubt

Pompey are preparing a mass academy player exodus at the end of the season.

Friday, 16th April 2021, 7:23 pm

The News understands there will be widespread departures, with Harry Kavanagh the first to confirm his exit on social media earlier today.

What’s more, Alfie Stanley’s future has been cast in doubt. Rumours circulating are that he’s been told he will not be handed a new deal, although club sources say he’s been offered fresh terms with a view to a loan next season.

Meanwhille, Harvey Rew and Charlie Bell will also leave Fratton Park despite being highly rated by youth staff and attracting interest previously from higher up the pyramid.

Sign up to our Portsmouth FC newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Harvey Rew, left, has been told he won't be handed a new deal at Pompey while Alfie Stanley's future is in doubt.

Northern Irish trio Gerard Storey, Eoin Teggart and Harry Anderson, along with goalkeeper Taylor Seymour, were told last month they’d not be handed new terms.

Certainly, it represents a major overhaul in the PO4 youth ranks.

Stanley has still travelled with Danny Cowley's side for tomorrow's League One trip to MK Dons.

Along with John Marquis, the North End lad is the only current fit striker available for the Blues with Ellis Harrison and Jordy Hiwula out injured.

He's been on the bench for the past two games, while he has made two appearances in the Papa John’s Trophy this term and had a brief loan spell at Bognor.

Kavanagh, a fellow third-year scholar, was left devastated by the decision, having previously been expected to be handed fresh terms.

The Cowplain full-back spent time at Gosport Borough and played twice in the Papa John’s Trophy.

Cowley was not part of the decision-making as he’s unsure on his own future beyond the summer, having been appointed head coach in March for the rest of the season.

Fans will be surprised by Bell and Rew leaving PO4.

Bell has skippered the academy this season and impressed when featuring in the Papa John’s Trophy.

It's understood he’s set for a trial at Premier League Brighton’s under-23s in the coming weeks. Former Pompey head of academy performance and recruitment Dave Wright a long-time admirer and tried to take the midfielder to the Amex previously.

Rew, meanwhile, was handed a professional contract in October 2018 – only months into his scholarship – after the Blues rebuffed a six-figure bid from Leeds United.

Teggart, currently back on loan at Cliftonville, was recruited for an undisclosed fee in the summer of 2018 from the Irish Premiership side.

Storey and Anderson moved to the south coast a year later from Portadown.

The former has been on loan at Carrick Rangers since January.

Seymour was signed in the summer after a successful trial period. He came off the bench in the 5-1 loss at Peterborough in the Papa John’s Trophy.