Struggles continue for Robson's Rams

Struggling Petersfield Town fell to a sixth successive league defeat as new boss John Robson's first game in charge of first-team matters ended in a 2-0 home loss to Ashford Town tonight.

Tuesday, 25th October 2016, 10:56 pm
Updated Wednesday, 26th October 2016, 4:10 pm
New Petersfield Town manager John Robson

The Rams remain in the bottom two in Southern League division one central and Robson – in his second spell at the club – has a big job on his hands if he is to turn their fortunes around.

There were promising signs at Love Lane, however, as the Rams showed a dogged determination to frustrate their high-flying visitors.

It was a feat they achieved up until the 57th minute when third-place Ashford made the breakthrough, before netting again with 15 minutes to play to seal the points.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

The first half was fairly even in terms of ball possession and although the visitors had the few limited clear-cut chances, a resilient Petersfield ensured ensued their goal remained intact at the interval.

After four minutes Mark Bitmead got in behind the home defence and had two shots blocked before pulling a low shot across the face of the goal.

On 20 minutes Bitmead again caused problems for the Rams defence, this time finding space on the right but his first-time effort was blocked by a combination of home goalkeeper Matt Petts and defender Matt Graham.

On the half-hour mark, the lively Bitmead went closer still when he his 25-yard free-kick was tipped around the post by a leaping Petts.

Petersfield got their first chance of the game five minutes after the interval when Gari Judd won the ball in midfield and played it inside to Alfy Whittingham.

He in turn moved it on into the path of Olly Searle but the skipper fizzed his shot just wide of the target.

Moments later, Judd had a chance in front of goal but he could get no power behind his shot to trouble the goalkeeper.

The visitors took the lead on 57 minutes, when they stretched the Petersfield defence by moving the ball quickly from left to right.

And when the cross came in, Dan Fleming got in front of his marker and did enough to turn the ball over the line.

On 62 minutes, the Rams came close to an equaliser when a quick free-kick found Searle on the right but Judd and Harry Giles couldn’t get a touch on the ball to turn it home from close range.

The visitors made them pay, wrapping up the points with 15 minutes to go.

A free-kick on the right was floated into the box and it was partially cleared into the path of Tommy Brunton who hit a first-time dipping volley over Petts and into the far corner of the net.