US Portsmouth squad all staying loyal in bid to win promotion to top flight of Wessex League in 2021

US Portsmouth’s players have all committed themselves to another shot at winning promotion to the top tier of the Wessex League.

Wednesday, 1st April 2020, 1:22 pm
Updated Thursday, 2nd April 2020, 2:26 pm
Tom Cain, right, is a 'good barometer' of the US Portsmouth dressing room, according to boss Glenn Turnbull. Picture: Duncan Shepherd

Boss Glenn Turnbull has revealed every member of his first team squad have told him they are happy to stay and hopefully finish off what they were on course to achieve in 2019/20.

The FA’s controversial decision to null and void the non-league game from step three down has cost USP a likely promotion - what would have been the club’s first since they joined the Wessex League in 2004.

They were 11 points clear of the fifth-placed Wessex Division 1 club - the top four teams would have won promotion - when the season was first halted by Covid-19 and subsequently expunged from the record books.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

‘Knowing the players as I do, I wasn’t that surprised,’ said Turnbull.

‘Hopefully that will fend off a few of the swooping hawks that would have been looking at players like Franko (James Franklyn).

‘Everyone has said they’re staying, and Sweeney (striker Andrew Todd) has told his wife he’s going to give it one last throw of the dice.

‘Tom Cain is a good barometer of the squad, and within 10 minutes of the FA’s announcement he was messaging ‘come on, let’s all go again next season.’

‘I had a moment when I thought ‘could I be bothered to do it all again?’

‘The last 10 months were such a slog - especially the couple of months before the season actually started when I was liaising with kit supplies, organising training, ensuring cup competitions had been entered.

‘I can understand where Danny Thompson (Infinity manager) is coming from. They were in an even better position than we were.

‘But the lads have already been posting videos of them out running with their US hats on. They’re all ‘right, let’s do this again.’

The only problem now is that we don’t know when we’re going to start again, we can’t start organising pre-season friendlies or anything.’

A message from the Editor

Thank you for reading this story on portsmouth.co.uk. While I have your attention, I also have an important request to make of you.

With the coronavirus lockdown having a major impact on many of our advertisers - and consequently the revenue we receive - we are more reliant than ever on you taking out a digital subscription.

Subscribe to portsmouth.co.uk and enjoy unlimited access to local news and information online and on our app. With a digital subscription, you can read more than 5 articles, see fewer ads, enjoy faster load times, and get access to exclusive newsletters and content. Visit our Subscription page now to sign up.

Our journalism costs money and we rely on advertising, print and digital revenues to help to support them. By supporting us, we are able to support you in providing trusted, fact-checked content for this website.