Friend leads deadly Tigers to Palmerston Cup glory

Fareham Tigers clinched the Palmerston Cup crown with a 68-47 victory over Banister Park Gold on Sunday.

Thursday, 2nd March 2017, 7:00 am
Updated Friday, 24th March 2017, 10:42 am
Fareham Tigers, who won the Palmerston Cup. Picture: Neil Marshall (170109-20)

Victorious captain Cyril Friend lifted the trophy and was presented with a cheque for £250 by the president of Palmerston Indoor Bowls club, Barry McCann.

Meanwhile, Eastleigh Railway snatched third place after a thrilling 52-51 success over Milton Park in the play-off.

Fareham Tigers made a strong start to the final – roaring into a 30-10 lead after six ends.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Milton Park finished fourth in the Palmerston Cup. Picture: Neil Marshall (170109-21)

They enjoyed a 48-26 advantage after 12 ends but the Banister side made them fight for every shot.

Friend, Paul Nicholls and Dave Holland were generally in control of their clash with Midge Pitter, Yvonne Bott and Janet Whitehead on the first rink.

The Tigers were 13-5 up by the halfway stage and pushed on to claim a 28-10 success.

Dorian Bishop’s Fareham rink, which included Carol Pullin and Michael Coleman, also made a fine start against Banister’s Michael Comley, Ashley North and skip Ivy Phillips.

Milton Park finished fourth in the Palmerston Cup. Picture: Neil Marshall (170109-21)

The Tigers were 9-3 ahead after six ends but Gold had reduced the deficit to 10-9 by halfway.

Both sides continued to pick up shots but it was the Fareham team who held on to win 22-18.

The Tigers rink skipped by Lee Cunningham – and featuring Tom Pullin and Sandy Pullin – scored heavily in the first eight ends of their clash with Banister’s Steve Whitehead, Patrick Day and Helena Day.

They established a 16-4 lead only for the Gold trio to win seven of the next eight ends to leave the game poised at 17-16 with two to play.

The Tigers picked up a shot on the 17th but Banister racked up three on the final end to snatch a 19-18 success.

However, it was all in vain as the Fareham outfit secured a 68-47 overall triumph to lift the trophy.

Milton Park suffered a setback prior to their third-place play-off with Eastleigh Railway when captain Dave Biggs was forced to stand down through injury.

The Portsmouth outfit hit back from a 21-14 deficit after six ends to lead 49-43 with two left to play.

But then disaster struck as the Eastleigh outfit turned the tables.

And with only the final end of the clash which pitted Milton’s Gary Snook, Ted Coward and Len Reeves against Railway’s Stuart Rowney, Richard Buggins and Robbie Bines to play, Park trailed 52-50.

While they won the end, it was only by a single shot and Eastleigh celebrated a 52-51 victory and third place.

Derrick Walker’s Railway rink featuring Keith Pearce and Ben Barrett had earlier won 28-14 over Milton’s Dave Brown, Mike Molloy and Harry Biggs.

There was some joy for Park, though, as Tony Hurst, Adrian Snook and skip Mick Brown beat Mick Barrett, David Bines and Richard Curnow 18-12.