Catlin: Portchester punished for slow start

AFC Portchester had their promotion ambitions dented by a 3-0 defeat at Blackfield & Langley in the Wessex League premier division on Saturday.

Sunday, 11th March 2018, 5:01 pm
Updated Sunday, 11th March 2018, 6:04 pm
AFC Portchester joint-boss Mick Catlin. Picture: Keith Woodland

Three first-half goals left the Royals with a second-half mountain to climb against the title-chasers.

And while the visitors improved in the second period, they couldn’t find a way back into the contest.

‘We paid the price for a poor first half,’ said joint-manager Mick Catlin.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

‘In the first half we never got to grips with them.

‘Their goals put us on the backfoot and we were dead and buried by half-time.

‘Credit to the lads for digging in after that but we never really created anything.’

The rest of the top-flight fixtures were postponed.

In division one, goals from Lewis Beale and Josh Smith set United Services on their way to a 2-0 win over Whitchurch United at the Victory Stadium.

In a keenly-fought contest, Beale gave the Sailors a 12th-minute lead with a fine drive.

Smith extended that advantage on 33 minutes with a close-range tap-in.

Clanfield suffered penalty shootout heartbreak in their Hampshire Intermediate Cup semi-final against Liphook United at Peel Park.

The hosts led twice – through Jack Eyre and Matt Rowland – before a 96th-minute goal sent the game to spot-kicks.

Liphook held their nerve to win the shootout 5-4.

In the Hampshire Premier League senior division, goals from Callum Britton, George Callard and Luke Rogers gave Locks Heath a 3-0 win at Hayling United.

Fleetlands stormed to a 3-1 win at Hedge End Rangers courtesy of goals by Jake Alford, Luke Vhearbolt and Jordan Sullivan.

n Bognor made the long trip to Concord Rangers in National League South only for the pitch to fail an inspection an hour before the kick-off.

n Moneyfields were spared the journey to Egham in the Southern League east division after their game was postponed on Saturday morning.