Taxpayer in credit while Phoenix end Newcome's challenge

JOLLY TAXPAYER C booked their place in the second round of the Portsmouth Men's League Denise Neale Challenge Cup with a 5-4 triumph over Froddington Arms A.

Thursday, 19th May 2016, 6:30 am
Ivan Gicquel. Picture: Ian Hargreaves (141070-16)

Lee O’Donovan and Andy Newcombe put Taxpayer 2-1 up as they threw 18-dart legs, either side of a Froddington win from Louis Arnell.

Daniel Browne pulled Froddington level.

But Taxpayer soon regained the lead with a 124 finish from Steve Ockendon and Jim Mortimer took the next tie to put them within a leg of victory.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Liam Emery won the next clash to keep Froddington in the match.

But it was to no avail as Barry Gibson took the penultimate game to give Taxpayer an insurmountable lead.

Froddington were awarded the last leg as a walkover for Luke Smith.

Phoenix North End B also progressed to the next round.

They produced a good performance to beat Newcome Arms A 6-3.

Lee Manchip, Joe Bridle and Craig McEwan gave Phoenix a 3-1 lead with only Frankie Howard putting up any early resistance for Newcome.

Darren Barnes and Shane Filleul restored parity for Newcome.

But that was all they could muster as Ivan Gicquel, Steve Todd and Lee Smith took the remaining bouts to ensure progress for Phoenix.

George & Dragon beat Stag B 5-4 in the first round of the Ron Neale Shield.

Mark Cunningham opened proceedings for Stag.

Anthony Plummer and Philip Browne then moved George 2-1 up.

Stag squared the match through Gary Dean before Les Browne put George ahead once more.

Dion Jukes won for Stag to make it 3-3 as the two teams continued to trade blows.

However, a strong finish from George saw Shane Plummer and Malcolm Tilley both earn wins to secure the victory and progress to the next round.

Nick Hatherley took a late consolation for Stag.

Portland Arms survived a comeback from Tap to beat them 5-4 and put themselves in the next round of the competition.

Liam O’Driscoll, David Stewart and Julian Whelan put Portland 3-1 up and in command of the contest.

That was after Tap’s Mark Wilson won the opener.

From 3-1 down Tap battled back, though.

Wins from Ian Smith, Hayden Sole and Les Phipps got them level at 3-3.

But Portland sealed victory with legs from Richard Oliver and Paul Drinkwater.