Firefighters tackle blaze at Portsmouth tower block

editorial image
3
Have your say

A MAN has been led to safety after a kitchen fire in a tower block.

Five fire engines were called out at 6.10pm to a 15th floor kitchen fire in Edgbaston House, in Sedgley Close, Somers Town.

Firefighters from Cosham and Southsea fought the blaze, which was caused by a chip pan catching fire.

Firefighter Andy Rook, from Southsea fire station, said: ‘A 45-year-old man was led to safety.

‘He had to go to hospital for smoke inhalation.’

Mr Rook said the flames could be seen from the ground and were coming out of a window high up on the 15th floor.

The man had tried to put the fire out himself before firefighters arrived.

Mr Rook added: ‘There was quite a lot of damage to the kitchen.

‘The damage was confined to the kitchen.’

The blaze was put out with two hose reels.

Fire crews left the scene at about 8pm.

The block is managed by Portsmouth City Council and includes sheltered housing and retirement flats.

Back to the top of the page