Hundreds evacuated from Port Solent restaurant after major blaze erupts

The fire at Casa Brasil in Port Solent on Saturday    PHOTO: Heidi Baker

The fire at Casa Brasil in Port Solent on Saturday PHOTO: Heidi Baker

11
Have your say

MORE than 100 people had to be evacuated from a restaurant in Port Solent after a major fire erupted.

Crews from Southsea, Cosham, Portchester and Fareham were called after a fire sparked at the Casa Brasil, in Boardwalk, just after 10pm last night.

At the time, more than 130 people were dining in the restaurant and had to be evacuated, while flames soared from the roof of the building.

Forty-five firefighters tackled the blaze and police and ambulance crews were also been called to the scene, as well as Hampshire Fire and Rescue’s aerial ladder platform.

Craig Sadler, watch manager at Cosham fire station was in charge of the operation and said no-one was injured.

‘It was evident from the start that this was a severe fire which had broken out through the roof,’ he said.

Firefighters used high-pressure water jets to quell the flames.

It took crews just over an hour to get the blaze under control.

Jim Clarke of Hampshire Fire and Rescue Service added that the damage to the property was restricted to the ventilation ducts and part of the roof had also been damaged by fire.

There is also water damage to the property.

Customers were evacuated from the restaurant when the blaze erupted in the roof of the building   PHOTO: Keith Hooper

Customers were evacuated from the restaurant when the blaze erupted in the roof of the building PHOTO: Keith Hooper

He said fire crews would remain on site whilst crews cut away at the roof area to remove any hot spots.

Crew manager Sadler confirmed that the fire was not thought to have started deliberately.

Earlier this morning, Casa Brasil made a statement about the blaze, apologising to their customers for the incident.

Commenting on the restaurant’s Facebook page, a company spokesman said the blaze had sparked ‘due to a bird nest on the roof’ near the extractor fan, which subsequently caught fire.

The restaurant added all staff and customers were evacuated safely and that it would be open soon.

Back to the top of the page