Wickham Festival axed as organisers blast government for 'making it impossible' to host music show

BOSSES behind the Wickham Festival have lashed out at the government after being forced to axe next month’s show.

Wednesday, 1st July 2020, 9:26 pm
Updated Wednesday, 1st July 2020, 9:38 pm

The showpiece, which attracts thousands of music lovers every year, had been scheduled for August 6 to 9 but has now been put back to next year because of the Covid-19 pandemic.

Organisers had hoped to stage a scaled-down version of the spectacle and contingency plans were drawn up to enable social distancing.

But festival boss Peter Chegwyn claimed a ‘lack of government guidance’ had made it ‘impossible’ for the show to go ahead.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Wickham Festival 2019 at Blind Lane in Wickham - Blazin Fiddles perform of The Village Stage. Picture: Vernon Nash (040819-020)

He said ‘We have delayed making the decision in the hope that the government would issue some clear guidelines and we were very close to getting it on.

‘But unfortunately the lack of clarity and a coherent strategy from Westminster means we have been forced to cancel which will cost the Wickham area around £1m in lost revenue.

Read More

Read More
Portsmouth stalker who 'maximised fear and distress' to his ex is jailed after f...

‘The government have said that concert halls can re-open – but they can’t stage concerts. That is like saying pubs can re-open but not serve any alcohol. It sums up how vague and contradictory the policies are.

Peter Chegwyn

‘They have said there should be no live performances to a live audience indoors but it is not clear whether that also applies outdoors.

‘We could have got rid of our traditional big tops to have an entirely outdoor event and we have been advised that would have met current criteria. But we just don’t know if that would be within whatever guidelines are dreamed up for the first week in August.

‘The government keep promising clarity but have failed to deliver guidelines promised on June 13. We have delayed a decision for months; we just can’t wait any longer.

‘We are absolutely gutted to have to delay but the government have made it impossible to go ahead with any certainty. We could not risk having everything in place and then having to cancel at the very last minute.’

The entire festival line-up for this year, including the main headliner Van Morrison, will now roll over to next year’s event, Mr Chegwyn added.

Other acts on the line-up include the Waterboys, Leo Sayer, The South, Nick Lowe and the Los Straitjackets.

Tickets bought by punters for this year’s action will still be valid in 2021.

Those unable to make the August 5-8 dates next year will be able to get a refund with details being announced shortly.

Mr Chegwyn added: ‘We have a very loyal following and many have already told us they will keep hold of their tickets, especially those who bought at a discount rate before our headliners were announced.’

A message from the Editor

Thank you for reading this story on portsmouth.co.uk. While I have your attention, I also have an important request to make of you.

With the coronavirus lockdown having a major impact on many of our advertisers - and consequently the revenue we receive - we are more reliant than ever on you taking out a digital subscription.

Subscribe to portsmouth.co.uk and enjoy unlimited access to local news and information online and on our app. With a digital subscription, you can read more than 5 articles, see fewer ads, enjoy faster load times, and get access to exclusive newsletters and content. Visit our Subscription page now to sign up.

Our journalism costs money and we rely on advertising, print and digital revenues to help to support them. By supporting us, we are able to support you in providing trusted, fact-checked content for this website.