Coronavirus: Cosham NHS care unit Jubilee House closed to new patients after Covid-19 outbreak

AN NHS care facility has closed to new patients due to an outbreak of Covid-19.

Saturday, 12th December 2020, 7:00 am

Jubilee House in Cosham, a rehabilitation and end-of-life centre, has been forced to make ‘alternative arrangements’ for patients after a number of staff, who work at the facility in Medina Road, tested positive for Covid-19 and had to self-isolate.

One staff member is reportedly now seriously ill in the intensive care unit according to a relative.

The family member, who wished to remain anonymous, said: ‘My concerns are that it has clearly not been a Covid safe working environment, especially for those who have returned from shielding to particular promises like non patient facing or minimal frontline nursing.’

Sign up to our public interest bulletins - get the latest news on the Coronavirus

Sign up to our public interest bulletins - get the latest news on the Coronavirus

Jubilee House, Cosham, Portsmouth. Picture: Habibur Rahman

Read More

Read More
University of Portsmouth scientist debunks coronavirus vaccine conspiracies and ...

Solent NHS Trust, which runs the centre, told The News it plans to reopen to new patients next week.

Jackie Ardley, chief nurse at Solent NHS Trust, said: ‘A number of staff who work at Jubilee House have tested positive for Covid-19 or are self-isolating.

‘We are taking appropriate action to limit the spread of the virus. Jubilee House has temporarily stopped accepting new patients and we are making alternative arrangements to ensure that we can continue to provide high-quality care to our patients, and to provide support to those colleagues affected.

‘We plan to reopen Jubilee House to new patients next week.’

The trust did not confirm how many staff had been affected but said a small number of patients had also tested for Covid-19.

Latest coronavirus figures shows there has been 4,852 confirmed cases of Covid-19 in the city, with a rate of 2,257.7 cases per 100,000 resident population in the pandemic so far.

There were 70 new cases confirmed in yesterday’s update.

A total of 300 people have now died at Queen Alexandra Hospital after testing positive for coronavirus.

The daily figures, released by NHS England yesterday, showed that there had been one death on December 4, two on December 5, two on December 6 and two on December 8.

Keep up to date with the latest coronavirus news in Portsmouth with our Coronavirus Updates Facebook group.

A message from the Editor, Mark Waldron

Thank you for reading this story. The dramatic events of 2020 are having a major impact on our advertisers and thus our revenues.

The News is more reliant than ever on you taking out a digital subscription to support our journalism. You can subscribe here for unlimited access to Portsmouth news and information online.

Every subscription helps us continue providing trusted, local journalism and campaign on your behalf for our city.