Police stand-off in Lee-on-the-Solent ends after man is taken away

A MAN who barricaded himself into his house after police were called over fears for his welfare has been taken away.

Friday, 21st August 2020, 4:27 pm
Updated Friday, 21st August 2020, 5:49 pm

Police were called just after 12.30pm to Kings Road, Lee-on-the-Solent, to a ‘concern for welfare’ call. The road was blocked off, and at least four police cars, a police van and an ambulance were sent out.

Police were negotiating with the man, who has now been taken away in ambulance.

Read More

Read More
Royal Navy headquarters in Portsmouth partially closed after deadly bacteria fou...

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Police in Kings Road, Lee-on-the-Solent this afternoon Picture: Richard Lemmer

A resident who lives just a few doors away from where the incident unfolded said he saw ‘what looked like a machete’ thrown from a first floor window.

The 52-year-old said: ‘I was watching and saw the man throw a metallic object to the ground. It looked like a machete. It was definitely a very very large knife.

‘Police were here with a battering ram and riot shields.

‘It was a case of taking it slowly and playing a waiting game.

‘It all went quiet and the police all charged around the corner - but I never heard any commotion or any shouting. And then a little while later I asked a police office what happened and they said it was being resolved peacefully.’

Another resident of the road, who asked not to be named, had been kept from entering his house along the road for more than two hours because of the police cordon.

The 27-year-old said: ‘We moved here only a couple of months weeks ago.

‘It’s been incredibly quiet - so I’m incredibly surprised to see this happening.

‘Everyone gets on well with each other, it’s a very quiet area.’

Another resident of the road, who also asked not to be named, agreed: ‘It’s a very quiet area.

‘First two cars arrived at midday, and then an ambulance, and then two more arrived.

‘It seemed very serious - the police were very intense when I asked them what was happening.

‘It’s scary - I hope no-one has been hurt.’

A message from the Editor, Mark Waldron

Thank you for reading this story. The dramatic events of 2020 are having a major impact on our advertisers and thus our revenues.

The News is more reliant than ever on you taking out a digital subscription to support our journalism. You can subscribe here for unlimited access to Portsmouth news and information online.

Every subscription helps us continue providing trusted, local journalism and campaign on your behalf for our city.