Shane Mays appears in court over murder of Havant teenager Louise Smith

A MAN due to go on trial for the murder of 16-year-old Louise Smith has appeared in court - and will now undergo further mental examinations.

Wednesday, 14th October 2020, 4:43 pm
Updated Wednesday, 14th October 2020, 5:36 pm

Shane Mays, 30, of Havant, has pleaded not guilty to murder with a trial date set at Winchester Crown Court for November 16.

Read More

Read More
Trial date set for man accused of Louise Smith murder

He is accused of murdering the teenager who was last seen alive in Somborne Drive, Leigh Park, Havant, at midday on May 8.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Louise Smith. Picture: Hampshire Constabulary

Louise’s body was found in nearby woodland at Havant Thicket on May 21.

Mays, wearing a blue jumper, appeared for a pre-trial hearing today.

Mays will now appear at court on October 22.

It is hoped the trial will still take place on the agreed date and is expected to last four weeks.

In July police said a 29-year-old woman, who was previously arrested on suspicion of murder and assisting an offender, will face no further action.

Mays was remanded in custody until the next hearing.

Louise’s family previously said in a statement: ‘She will be remembered as a smiley, generous person who loved her family and was loved by all.’

A message from the Editor, Mark Waldron

Thank you for reading this story. The dramatic events of 2020 are having a major impact on our advertisers and thus our revenues.

The News is more reliant than ever on you taking out a digital subscription to support our journalism. You can subscribe here for unlimited access to Portsmouth news and information online.

Every subscription helps us continue providing trusted, local journalism and campaign on your behalf for our city.