Southsea firefighters called to rescue family unaware of large fire in their garden

FIREFIGHTERS were called to a fire in the garden of a Eastney property – with the occupants unaware as the blaze began to spread to their house.

Saturday, 3rd April 2021, 10:04 am
Updated Saturday, 3rd April 2021, 10:06 am

Two fire engines carrying 10 firefighters were mobilised from Southsea fire station to Middlesex Road at 10pm last night.

A large blaze had begun to move across the property’s garden and damage a lean-to containing a washroom – but the family inside the house were unaware of the danger, according to a firefighter who was there.

He said: ‘A resident in Essex Road saw the smoke and put a call in.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Firefighters had to alert a family inside a Southsea property that a fire was raging in their garden. Picture: Southsea Fire Station.

‘The fire was substantial enough for people in the street to notice.

‘The smoke alarm in the property didn’t (go) off, and so the family inside wasn’t alerted.

‘When we turned up, we pulled the family out.’

Read More

Read More
Southsea businesses 'optimistic' about summer boom as crowds flock to the seafro...

Four fire fighters in breathing apparatus with two hose jets extinguished the fire and made the area safe after almost an hour at the scene.

It is believed the fire was caused by discarded smoking paraphernalia.

No one was injured.

The Southsea firefighter added: ‘It is a good reminder to test smoke alarms and have detectors fitted to ensure smoke can be detected anywhere in a property.

‘Make sure they are tested once a week and batteries changed once a year.

‘We do a free service called Safe and Well, where we can assist in minimising the risk of a fire. Even if we fit 10 alarms, we won’t charge a penny.’

A message from the Editor, Mark Waldron

You can subscribe here for unlimited access to our online coverage, including Pompey, for 27p a day.