Asparagus and baby gem salad | Lawrence Murphy
It’s been very uplifting to see smiley faces, excited to receive our bags of goodies, and the feedback and photos have been superb.
The menu changes weekly ensuring I can use seasonal produce and therefore English asparagus has featured.
As the season comes to an end at the close of June, here is a simple salad packed with flavour for you to enjoy with your barbecue.
You could easily add soft boiled eggs to make a terrific lunch or starter.
Ingredients – serves 4
1 bunch asparagus
Small bunch watercress
2 baby gems
Tablespoon grain mustard
80ml olive oil
1. Cook the asparagus in a large pan of simmering salted water for 3 mins and then plunge them into iced water to cool.
2. Slice length ways and drain onto kitchen paper.
3. Wash and quarter the baby gems and drain.
4. Pick the watercress, wash and drain. Thinly slice the radish.
5. Put the mustard into a bowl and slowly drizzle in the oil while whisking to form an emulsion.
6. Add a splash of water if its too thick. Taste and season.
7. Put the baby gems into half of the dressing and then arrange onto four plates.
8. Add the other components and then spoon over the rest of the dressing.