Cosham firefighters scrambled to evacuate families after toxic gas leak at veterinary surgery

SPECIALIST hazardous material firefighters from Hampshire and Surrey were scrambled to evacuate families living above a veterinary surgery following a toxic gas leak.
Watch more of our videos on Shots! 
and live on Freeview channel 276
Visit Shots! now

A team from Cosham was among several fire crews from across the county called to deal with the emergency near Hindhead this morning.

It followed a reported ammonia leak coming from the veterinary surgery on Crossways Road in Grayshott at 8:25am.

Read More
Girl, 14, 'seriously' injured in Fareham crash as drivers warned of 'severe' del...
Cosham firefighters were scrambled to deal with the toxic gas leak.Cosham firefighters were scrambled to deal with the toxic gas leak.
Cosham firefighters were scrambled to deal with the toxic gas leak.
Hide Ad
Hide Ad

A spokesman for Hampshire and Isle of Wight Fire and Rescue Service said: ‘The flats above the surgery were evacuated with two casualties suffering headaches.

‘The small ammonia leak which had caused the callout was from a fridge in the surgery.

‘The appliance was removed and the property ventilated as the casualties were treated by paramedics.’

Fire service crews from Cosham, Alton, Bordon and Surrey FRS left the scene following the stop message at 10:27am.

High levels of ammonia may cause burns and swelling in the airways, lung damage and can be fatal.

Related topics:

Comment Guidelines

National World encourages reader discussion on our stories. User feedback, insights and back-and-forth exchanges add a rich layer of context to reporting. Please review our Community Guidelines before commenting.