Gosport firefighters scrambled to fire started by hamster cage left on an oven hob

FIRE crews were called after a pet hamster was nearly cooked alive when his cage was placed on an oven hob.

Monday, 25th April 2022, 11:07 am
Updated Monday, 25th April 2022, 6:54 pm
Firefighters were called
Firefighters were called

Two crews from Gosport Fire Station were scrambled to a property in Heritage Way after the cage caught alight from a hot hob at around 10.24pm yesterday.

The flustered hamster was safely removed from his cage before it melted and the firefighters’ speedy arrival stopped the incident escalating into a more serious house fire, according to firefighter Mark Pettifer.

Read More

Read More
Residents respond to ‘heartbreaking’ news as Portsmouth man, 64, dies following ...

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The emergency services worker said: ‘I think the cage had been placed on the hob and triggered it to turn on.

‘The plastic base had started to smoke. We were there really quickly – it wasn’t an inferno or anything.’

‘The hamster survived – he was running around a fair bit.’

The firefighter said that residents must be careful when placing anything on a hob – even if they believe it to be off.

He said: ‘You cannot be too careful.

‘Putting stuff on a hob is always a fire safety concern.

‘They do turn themselves on.’