Havant firefighters scrambled to oven blaze in Totton Walk property

FIREFIGHTERS have called for residents to regularly clean their ovens after attending a blaze started by a cooker in Havant.

Saturday, 30th April 2022, 9:44 am

Two fire crews from Havant Fire Station were scrambled to the fire in a property in Totton Walk at 9pm last night.

Firefighters extinguished the blaze in an oven in the property’s kitchen, and took the damaged appliance outside to keep it away from the family’s young children, according to crew manager Jason Haste.

Firefighter Haste said: ‘I think it was just from where someone had left trays in the oven, and we think the oil flashed up.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

A blaze started by a dirty oven has led to a warning from Havant firefighters.

‘We natural ventilated the kitchen to let all the smoke out and then removed the whole oven. Because (the residents) had a young kid we didn’t want them touching it.

‘They will need to get a new oven, as it was melted on the front.’

No one was injured and no property aside from the oven was damaged by the blaze, according to firefighter Haste.

Read More

Read More
Southsea will become more 'exciting and vibrant' as Which? tourist survey names ...

The firefighter said residents should clean their ovens regularly to minimise the risk of fires.

He added: ‘The main thing is to keep your ovens clean – fat and grease build up.’