Man, 55, in serious but stable condition after having 'medical episode' in water at Eastney beach

A MAN is in a serious but stable condition in hospital after having a ‘medical episode’ in the water at a popular city beach.

Monday, 10th August 2020, 2:46 pm

Paramedics, police and coastguard were called to Eastney Esplanade on Sunday evening.

The 55-year-old was treated at the scene before being taken to Queen Alexandra Hospital in a serious but stable condition.

South Central Ambulance Service sent two ambulances, a rapid response vehicle and the Hampshire & Isle of Wight Air Ambulance helicopter and critical care car to the scene.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

A coastguard helicopter lands on Eastney beach. Photo: Matthew Bissaker.

A coastguard helicopter was also dispatched to the beachfront.

The road was closed near Eastney Esplanade as emergency services dealt with the incident.

Read More

Read More
Coastguard helicopter lands on Eastney beach amid reports of 'unconscious and se...

A spokeswoman for Hampshire Constabulary said: ‘We were called just before 8pm yesterday, August 9, to Eastney Esplanade after a 55-year-old man suffered a medical episode in the water.

‘Police have attended to assist our colleagues in the ambulance service by closing the road.

‘The man was taken to Queen Alexandra Hospital for treatment.’

In a statement posted on Facebook last night, Portsmouth coastguard rescue team said: ‘Team paged alongside coastguard rescue helicopter R175 after a person was pulled unconscious and in a serious condition from the water at Eastney beach.

‘Hampshire & Isle of Wight Air Ambulance was also tasked to the scene.

‘The casualty was stabilised on the waters edge by crews from South Central Ambulance Service (Scas) NHS Foundation Trust and R175's winchman paramedic, with the decision made to transport the casualty to hospital by road.’

The coastguard also confirmed that while a helicopter landed on the beach opposite Esplanade Gardens, the man was taken to hospital by ambulance.

Footage recorded by Stuart Vaizey shows the helicopter landing on the beachfront last night.

A spokesman for HM Coastguard added: ‘At 7.50pm (on Sunday), HM Coastguard sent the search and rescue helicopter from Lee-on-Solent and Portsmouth coastguard rescue team to assist at an incident at Southsea, following a report of a person in the water.

‘We assisted South Central Ambulance Service and Hampshire police at this incident in Southsea.’

A message from the Editor, Mark Waldron

Thank you for reading this story. The dramatic events of 2020 are having a major impact on our advertisers and thus our revenues.

The News is more reliant than ever on you taking out a digital subscription to support our journalism. You can subscribe here for unlimited access to Portsmouth news and information online.

Every subscription helps us continue providing trusted, local journalism and campaign on your behalf for our city.