Princess Anne cancels Portsmouth visit after hospital treatment
The Princess Royal has cancelled a visit to Portsmouth as she recovers from a serious chest infection that needed hospital treatment.
Anne has cancelled all her public engagements next week as she recovers, Buckingham Palace said.
A spokesman said: ‘On doctors’ orders she has cancelled her engagements for the coming week. She is resting privately at home.
The Princess Royal had been due to make a commemorative visit to Boathouse 4 in Portsmouth Historic Dockyard on Thursday next week.
She was was treated at Aberdeen Royal Infirmary on Wednesday before being discharged and returning to Balmoral.
Dockyard spokeswoman Jacquie Shaw said: “Obviously we are disappointed but the Palace has said we will be able to rearrange another date.
“We look forward to welcoming Princess Anne soon.”
Last weekend, Anne joined the Queen, the Duke of Edinburgh and the Prince of Wales at the Braemar Highland Games which are held a short distance from the Royal Family’s summer retreat in Aberdeenshire.
The 66-year-old also recently spent time in Brazil at the Olympic Games as a member of the International Olympic Committee.
She posed in an official photograph with Team GB athletes before the Games but was almost taken out by Andy Murray as the tennis star got to grips with the team flag.
Much to the amusement of the Princess, flag bearer Murray had to be told to move so Anne could be seen in the picture.
He said: ‘’I’m going to blame the photographers for what happened because I was being given directions and ended up putting the flag in front of Princess Anne’s face.”