Plans for new 72-bed ward at QA Hospital in Portsmouth get the go-ahead

WORK to create a new 72-bed ward at Queen Alexandra Hospital in Portsmouth can now begin.

Wednesday, 9th December 2020, 5:03 pm
Updated Wednesday, 9th December 2020, 5:19 pm

City councillors unanimously approved plans for the two-storey building, which will be built on part of the hospital’s existing north car park, during a virtual committee meeting today (Dec 9).

The almost 7,000 square metre site will include 15 four-bed wards and 12 single-bed rooms, and will be connected to QA's rehab building via a bridge.

Read More

Read More
New £10m 72-bed ward could be built on car park at Queen Alexandra Hospital

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

GV of QA hospital, Portsmouth on 15 October 2020. Picture: Habibur Rahman

Some concerns had been previously raised about the resulting loss of 121 out of 300 car parking spaces on the site, as well as the temporary loss of all 300 during construction.

However, it is proposed staff parking spaces in the hospital's multi-storey car park will be reallocated to the public and extra staff spaces will be provided at the Fort Southwick park and ride.

Speaking at the planning committee meeting, Councillor Lee Hunt said: 'I have listened very carefully to the parking mitigation strategy. It seems very sensible to me to get staff to use a shuttle bus that they do already. In surrounding streets we have got residents' parking zones that deter people parking there.'

There are also plans for a new multi-storey car park on the northern part of the north car park, which has not been submitted yet.

Cllr Matt Atkins added: 'This is an important building for the hospital, any expanded ward space is always valuable.

'When it comes to the multi-storey car park I do think we should consider that very seriously because I do have a concern that may incur more hostility than the application for the ward. I do think parking has the potential to be a problem.'

It comes as separate proposals to build a new emergency department at QA at a cost of £58m are currently in the works – although a planning application has not yet been submitted.

It is thought this will replace the existing multi-storey staff car park next to A&E.

As previously reported, planning documents for the new ward said the scheme would be ‘supported by £10m of funding from the Department of Health and Social Care’.

The Portsmouth Hospitals University Trust has submitted a bid for funding.

The construction is estimated to take around 34 weeks.

A message from the Editor, Mark Waldron

You can subscribe here for unlimited access to Portsmouth news online - as well as fewer adverts, access to our digital edition and mobile app.

Our trial offer starts at just £2 a month for the first two months.