Warsash pub The Hook damaged during early hours fire

A PUB has suffered ‘devastating damage’ after an early-morning fire broke out in the flat above it.

Tuesday, 1st March 2022, 4:12 pm
Updated Tuesday, 1st March 2022, 5:52 pm

The blaze ignited in the property above The Hook in Warsash Road, Warsash, in the early hours of this morning.

Four crews of Hampshire firefighters scrambled to tackle the blaze at the recently refurbished pub building, with emergency services called just after 4.30am.

One of the co-owners of the pub was alerted minutes later, at 5am, to the emergency.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The Hook, formerly known as The Ship & Shovel, has recently been refurbished.

‘We didn't realise the extent of it until we got here,’ Mo Toal told ITV News. ‘The main thing is, that both managers are safe and are very lucky.

‘It's devastating damage upstairs. The pub has been impacted by a lot of water damage, but we hope to open again as quickly as possible.’

A post from the pub’s Facebook page said: ‘Due to the horrendous fire that took place above the Pub last night, Luciano's and The Hook will likely be closed until Thursday evening.

‘The most important part is that our managers, Ryan and Lauren, are safe and well. Thank you to everyone for showing us so much concern and support.

Crews from Fareham and Portchester were called to the blaze.

‘Ryan and Lauren are obviously devastated by what has happened and we all look forward to welcoming you back very soon.’

The community has rallied in support, with people posting messages of support on the thread.

One wrote: ‘So glad to hear Ryan and Lauren weren’t hurt, though it must of been terrifying for them both. Sending them both a huge hug of support. If they need anything please let us know.’

Another said: ‘You guys know where I am if there is anything I can do. My thoughts and hugs to you both. Was so pleased your all safe.’

Someone else added: ‘Glad no one was hurt. Hope you can be up and running soon...doing an amazing job of running this brilliant new venture in the village.’

Read More

Read More
Police close Gosport flat after evidence of drug dealing and ‘unacceptable behav...

Crews from Fareham, Portchester, St Mary's, and Hightown arrived at the scene to put out the blaze.

Hampshire Fire and Rescue Service tweeted at 5.18am: ‘We received a call at 0436hrs to a fire in a flat above a pub in Warsash, @Hightown56 @Fareham17 @StMarys54 @Portchester28 are all attending and tackling the fire.’

Firefighters wore breathing apparatus hose reel jets to tackle the fire, as well as the aerial ladder to strip tiles from the roof.

In a statement, Hampshire Fire and Rescue said: 'Crews from Fareham, Hightown, St Mary’s and Portchester were called to a fire in a flat above a pub in Warsash Road, Warsash, at just after 04:30 today (Tuesday 1 March).

‘Firefighters wore breathing apparatus and used hose reel jets to tackle the fire, as well as the aerial ladder to strip tiles from the roof.

‘The stop message was received at 07:18.

‘A re-inspection took place later in the morning and the cause of the fire was a tumble dryer.'

A spokeswoman for Hampshire Fire and Rescue also confirmed that no one was injured.

A message from the Editor, Mark Waldron

Subscribe here for unlimited access to all our coverage, including Pompey, for just 26p a day.