Questions over abuse accused's hanging suicide

QUESTIONS have been raised how a man facing serious sexual abuse claims was able to hang himself weeks before he was due on trial.

Saturday, 27th August 2016, 6:00 am

An inquest into Craig Squire’s death concluded the 59-year-old, from Denmead, took his own life.

He was found hanged from a tree at a car park at Broadmarsh slipway car park in Harts Farm Way, Havant.

Speaking to The News, the woman who reported historic sexual abuse to police said she has been left upset the trial could not be held.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

She said: ‘I’m upset, I’m angry that I’m not going to get my day in court.

‘What’s happened has happened, he’s paid the ultimate price.

‘I’ve got to live with it now in my own life.’

She says the abuse happened about 30 years ago when she was aged 10.

Mr Squire, who also lived in Havant, was found at 
3.45am by three young men on May 2 after they finished work.

Portsmouth Coroner’s Court heard a report from his GP that said he was previously admitted to Queen Alexandra Hospital in Cosham after taking a paracetamol overdose on October 23, 2015.

Hampshire police had asked for the public’s help in finding Mr Squire the day before but made no mention of the criminal investigation.

Dr Janet Warwick-Brown’s report said he had been briefly sectioned under the Mental Health Act due to 
severe symptoms associated with the upcoming court 

The inquest heard Mr Squire suffered from stress dating back to 1994 relating to threatened job redundancy and was worried that depression was returning in 2008.

He had been admitted to QA Hospital in 2013 after a drug overdose.

PC David Gray said: ‘At the time Mr Squire was under investigation regarding serious criminal charges.’

Coroner David Horsley said: ‘Quite clearly this man was depressed with the pending criminal investigation.

‘He’s also had a history of depression.’

Concluding, Mr Horsley added: ‘Mr Squire has taken his own life whilst suffering with depression.’

Mr Squire’s wife Anne , his sister Coleen and PC Gray, who was first on the scene, thanked the three men who found Mr Squire.

Bradley Weedon, Richard Akehurst and Alan Bean had stopped in the car park after finishing work.

They called 999 and were told by ambulance control staff to leave the area and wait for an ambulance.

Moments later the call handler phoned back and
told them to cut down Mr Squire and give CPR, which they did.