Cosham bike shop worker was among Shoreham air disaster victims

Shoreham airshow disaster victim Richard Smith worked in Portsmmouth before moving to Hove.

Friday, 3rd March 2017, 9:03 am
Updated Friday, 24th March 2017, 11:05 am

The 26-year-old, a fan of all things cycling, was due to head out for a ride with another victim on the day of the crash.

After working in the Cosham bike shop, Mr Smith later worked in marketing and web development at ActSmart, a Hove-based firm that specialises in providing advice to the cycle industry.

The Buckinghamshire-raised man was one of 11 victims.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Maurice Abrahams, 76: Chauffeur Mr Abrahams, from Brighton, was en-route in his classic Daimler to collect bride Rebecca Sheen and take her to her wedding when the plane crashed.

A former police officer with Hampshire Constabulary, he was an ex-member of the Grenadier Guards and Parachute Regiment, and had served in Cyprus and Bahrain with the UN.

In his later years, he enjoyed working for East Sussex-based Chariots Chauffeurs as well as gardening.

His funeral was held at St Margaret’s Church in Rottingdean, where he had driven brides to their weddings countless times. Married to Edwina, Mr Abrahams had a son, Eddie, and daughter Lizzie.

James Graham Mallinson, known as Graham, 72: Retired engineer Mr Mallinson, from Newick, near Lewes, had gone to Shoreham to photograph one of the last Vulcan bomber flights.

Relatives said he was kind and generous with a ‘great sense of humour’. He was a private and loving family man, they added.

A lifetime member of the Bluebell Railway in East Sussex, married father Mr Mallinson had recently developed an interest in photographing vintage aircraft.

Mark Trussler, 54: Father-of-six Mr Trussler, a window cleaner from Worthing, had taken his motorbike for a spin on the day of the tragedy as he had also wanted to see the Vulcan flight.

While in Shoreham, he texted his fiancee Giovanna Chirico telling her to get the children ready so they could take them out for lunch on his return home.

She told him she loved him and his last words to her were, ‘I love you too, forever’. A motorbike and rugby fan, he was also described as a doting father.

Dylan Archer, 42: IT consultant Mr Archer, a father-of-two who lived in Brighton was friends with Cosham worker Mr Smith. The pair were due to meet up with a third friend to head out for a cycle ride in the South Downs.

Mr Archer, who grew up in the Midlands, had a lifelong passion for bikes and cars, and rode the bike he made himself on the day he died.

Tony Brightwell, 53: Health care manager Mr Brightwell, from Hove, was indulging his twin passions of planes and cycling when tragedy struck. His fiancee Lara watched him cycle off to watch one of the last Vulcan bomber flights, ‘but he never came home’, she said.

Mr Brightwell gained his private pilot licence at Shoreham, loved food and cooking, and admired Second World War pilots.

Mark Reeves, 53: Computer-aided design technician Mr Reeves, from Seaford, near Eastbourne, had parked his motorbike to take photographs of planes when the crash happened.

A grandfather, relatives described him as a ‘sun worshipper’ who would often be seen relaxing with a cocktail in hand on holiday.

His family said he was combining two favourite hobbies of riding his cherished Honda bike to take photographs at the air show.

Matthew Grimstone and Jacob Schilt, both 23: The two Worthing United footballers were travelling together in a car to a 3pm home game against Loxwood FC when they were caught up in the crash.

Mr Grimstone’s parents Sue and Phil and brothers David and Paul called him the ‘kindest person you could ever meet’.

Team-mates said Mr Schilt was a ‘tenacious midfielder’ with an eye for a goal.

Mr Grimstone had also worked at Brighton & Hove Albion for seven years, most recently as a groundsman at the Lancing training ground.

Matt Jones, 24, and Daniele Polito, 23: Father Mr Polito, from Worthing, was travelling in the same car as personal trainer Mr Jones when tragedy struck.

Mr Polito’s mother Leslye Polito said on the first anniversary of the disaster that the previous 12 months had failed to ease her loss. A keen DJ, Mr Jones had reportedly recently returned to the UK from living in Australia.