Firefighters remove '˜dangerous' lights

FIRE crews took to a cherry picker to remove dangerous light fittings knocked loose by high winds.

Friday, 24th February 2017, 6:00 am
Updated Wednesday, 1st March 2017, 9:19 am
Firefighters in Stanhope Road

They were called to Stanhope Road, Portsmouth, at 10.25am.

Two light fittings on the side of the Liquid nightclub building had come loose.

Crews from Southsea used the aerial ladder platform to remove the lights.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Station manager Dave Graham said: ‘That’s probably 10kg, if that was to hit a passerby in the head that would be a possible death.

‘It’s a result of Storm Doris, it’s definitely windy round here.’

The crews took just minutes to remove both of the lights and secure cables yesterday.