Safety warnings after crew revisit Gunwharf Quays flat fire

STARK safety warnings have been given by the crew who put out a huge flat fire in Gunwharf Quays.

Monday, 13th March 2017, 5:54 am
Updated Friday, 24th March 2017, 10:39 am

In a video released by Hampshire Fire and Rescue Service the damage caused by the blaze, which happened on February 25, is shown.

The fire was started from a cooker when food was left unattended.

Beth Medway, from Southsea station, revisits the scene in the video and explains as she got nearer to the source of the fire, visibility reduces from 50cm to 20cm.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

She said: ‘Whenever you’re cooking, never leave it unattended. Always make sure you turn off the hob. I know it is very easy to get distracted but you want to have a kitchen to come back to.

‘Remember to maintain the cleanliness of your oven and the hob. Also make sure there’s nothing flammable nearby.’

n Watch the video at