Woman escapes Havant property fire

A HAVANT woman escaped a blaze in her apartment last night '“ with her saved by a smoke alarm.

Tuesday, 8th January 2019, 11:36 am
Updated Thursday, 10th January 2019, 2:47 pm

The fire broke out in the kitchen of a West Street apartment around 8pm after a wooden chopping board caught alight on a pan.

The woman needed treatment for smoke inhalation after fire crews from Havant attended the scene '“ putting out the fire by 9pm. A ventilation fan was used to clear the smoke. An ambulance was called to attend.

The resident was alerted to the fire after smoke alarms sounded while a quick-thinking neighbour turned off the gas. 

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Crew manager Ben Holt said: '˜Things could have quickly got out of hand if she didn't have working smoke alarms. We would remind people to check their alarms are working.'