Chappell heroics keep Fenix cup dreams alive

Paul Chappell was the hero as FC Fenix claimed a shootout success over Gypsy Queen in the PDFA Junior C Cup last Sunday, writes Paul Oastler.

Friday, 2nd November 2018, 10:56 am
Updated Friday, 2nd November 2018, 12:01 pm
AFC Southbourne, green, hit the summit of the Portsmouth Sunday League senior division after beating Kerley Builders 6-0. Picture: Kevin Shipp

The keeper saved two penalties as the Portsmouth Sunday League outfit clinched a 4-2 win over their Gosport rivals in a nailbiting finale.

The tie had ended 1-1 with a well-worked leveller from Lawrence Moore cancelling out Queen's first-half opener.

AFC Lovedean's Luke Thomas scored a double hat-trick to help his side progress to the next round with a 12-1 victory over Freehouse A.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Darren Smith netted a treble, Stuart Meyer hit two and Jamie Arnold got the other in a comfortable win. 

Portsville Park put their poor league start behind them with a 3-1 win over Lakeside Reserves.

Matt Dunk notched a double and Dan Sibley got the other goal.

Jameson Arms, North End Lions and Cross Keys Athletic Reserves also booked their spots in the next round.

In the PDFA Vase, Matt Ray's double was not enough for Bowood as they went down 5-2 against AC Copnor.

Louis Jeff was also on the losing side after netting a brace for Broad Oak Social. They lost 3-2 to Freehouse Reserves.

North End Cosmos beat DCC 4-0 in the other Vase tie.

Football For Cancer (FFC) moved into the next round of the PDFA Junior B Cup with a 4-1 victory over fellow division three outfit Saturn Royale.

FFC bossed the early exchanges and took the lead on 10 minutes when Nathan New fired home.

Saturn began to get a foothold in the match, although the better chances continued to fall to their rivals.

Luke Carraher did level the score on the half-hour mark when a quick counter-attack caught the FFC defence napping.

The second half was then dominated by FFC with Gary Thorn's double and an own goal making it 4-1.

Saturn spurned two gilt-edged chances in the final five minutes as their cup hopes faded.

Kane Green and Harrison Keeler netted doubles as FC Lakeside progressed with a 5-0 victory over Solent Flyers.

Tom Andrews was the other scorer in the comfortable win.

AFC Prospect Farm Rangers keeper Marcus Outen saved three penalties to ensure his side edged past Foresters.

Leon Porter and Blake Bicknell had hit the target as the tie finished 2-2.

Porter, Bicknell, Tom Cross and Mitchell Britton all scored from the spot for Rangers in their 4-1 shootout success. 

Play Away Soccer went through with a 2-1 win over Queens Head.

Tony Kemp's penalty gave them the lead early in the second half.

And while Queens Head levelled, Kemp was on hand again to score the winner with a brilliant long-range effort on 75 minutes.

In the Portsmouth Sunday League, AFC Southbourne made it three wins out of three and hit the summit of the senior division with a 6-0 win over Kerley Builders.

Luke Slade hit a hat-trick, while Tom Bigwood, George Gregory and Dan Clasby were also on target.

Milton Rovers surrendered top spot after they were held to a 4-4 draw by AFC Portchester.

Tyler Moret struck twice, while Morgan Moret and Dean Harris completed the Rovers tally.

A William Butcher double and efforts from Alex Lowley and Lincoln Pepall earned Portchester a point.  

Cross Keys Athletic celebrated their first win of the season with a 2-1 defeat of Purbrook United.

Rian Taylor and Stuart Mitchell scored the all-important goals.

Fratton Trades went top of division four after running out 3-2 winners over AC FC.

Josh Cole, Steve Beech and Sam Long did the damage.

In division five, AFC Eastney Reserves beat Shelford Rovers 3-1 with Barry Jeans bagging a double and Matt Davison also on target.