FA Cup Countdown: Pompey's Cherries clashes revisited

The countdown to Pompey's FA Cup showdown with Bournemouth is gathering pace.

Tuesday, 26th January 2016, 11:00 am
Izale McLeod netted for Pompey against Bournemouth in 2012. Picture: Barry Zee

The sold out signs have gone up at Fratton Park, so to whet your appetite ahead of Saturday’s fourth round clash we’ve revisited the past five meetings between the sides.

Bournemouth 1 Pompey 0

August 6, 2013

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Pompey are knocked out of the League Cup at the first attempt after falling to a 1-0 loss to the Cherries.

Eunan O’Kane got the only goal after Phil Smith failed to hold Ryan Fraser’s effort in the 54th minute.

Bournemouth 2­ Pompey 0 February 9, 2013

Pompey equalled an unwanted post-­war club record of 19 matches without a win and nine straight defeats after a 2­-0 loss.

Pompey, held their own for the majority of the game, but fell behind to Lewis Grabban’s goal in the 63rd minute.

Caretaker boss Guy Whittingham’s side fell further behind when Marc Pugh collected Brett Pitman’s pass to seal the win. That left Pompey 11 points from safety.

Pompey 2 Bournemouth 2 (Pompey win 4-­3 on penalties) November 4, 2012

Pompey progressed to the second round of the Johnstone’s Paint Trophy after a thrilling penalty shoot­out win.

The Blues had twice fought back from a goal down to force extra-time, with Luke Rodgers and a Brian Howard curler cancelling out Shaun MacDonald’s double.

Pompey 1 Bournemouth 1 August 18, 2012

After surviving the threat of liquidation Pompey battled to a point on the opening day of the League One season.

Manager Michael Appleton handed out 11 debuts as Pompey lost their whole senior squad amid their dire financial situation.

Izale McLeod’s long-distance strike squirmed beneath Bournemouth keeper Shwan Jalal.

But Cherries striker Lee Barnard headed the leveller in the second half.

Pompey 5 Bournemouth 1 January 26, 1991

Pompey emphatically knocked Bournemouth out of the FA Cup with Guy Whittingham blasting in four goals in 29 second half minutes.

Harry Redknapp’s men fell apart in the fourth round clash after they were denied a credible penalty claim.