Hawks 2 Halifax 1

SECOND-half goals from Tyler Cordner and Alfie Rutherford earned the Hawks a 2-1 win against Halifax in the National League.

Saturday, 3rd November 2018, 4:14 pm
Updated Saturday, 3rd November 2018, 5:21 pm
Alfie Rutherford scored for the Hawks

There was a nervous finale at Westleigh Park after a howler from goalkeeper Ben Dudzinski gifted the visitors a goal.

Just one change was made by the Hawks after their 7-0 spree against Maidenhead United in midweek.

Alfie Rutherford was promoted to partner Alfie Pavey up front with Nicke Kabamba dropping to the substitutes bench.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Rutherford showed his threat early on, running at the Halifax defence and producing a shot that was blocked.

Visiting captain Matty Brown was forced to head behind for a corner when Bradley Tarbuck whipped in a cross.

On 17 minutes the visitors threatened with a free-kick outside the Hawks area.

Dudzinski was forced to go full length to turn Matty Kosylo's strike around the post. From the corner Josh Staunton headed narrowly over the top.

Soon after, Dudzinski held another firmly-struck free-kick from Kosylo.

There was a let-off for the Hawks when a point blank header from Dayle Southwell was cleared off the goal line.

The Hawks opened the second half in determined fashion and took a 48th-minute lead from a corner.

Tyler CORDNER sent in a looping header which the goalkeeper could only push into the net off the post.

Jonathan Edwards sent a shot dipping over the bar as the visitors looked for a quick reply.

On 59 minutes Alex Bradley replaced Rory Williams in the home ranks.

The home side extended their lead in the 64th minute following excellent work by Tarbuck on the right.

Tarbuck's low cross eluded the goalkeeper and RUTHERFORD was left with a simple tap-in from two yards.

Niall MAHER pulled a goal back on 79 minutes when Dudzinski let his 25-yard shot through his hands.

Will Wood was shown a red card in stoppage time.