Moneyfields hoping Pearce makes swift recovery after suffering short-term memory lossÂ

Sam Pearce has few recollections of Moneyfields' Southern League division one south win at Mangotsfield United.

Sunday, 21st October 2018, 2:54 pm
Updated Sunday, 21st October 2018, 4:00 pm
Sam Pearce. Picture: Vernon Nash

The defender took a knock to the head in the first half of his side's 4-0 victory on Saturday. 

As a result, Pearce was taken to hospital after going down early in the second period.

He underwent a precautionary CT scan and has suffered short-term memory loss.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Dave Carter told how Pearce asked where he was shortly before the second half started. 

The Moneyfields manager said:  '˜As he was walking out at the start of the second half, Sam looked at me and asked where he was.

'˜Within five minutes of the restart he felt dizzy and we took him off.

'˜He couldn't remember being picked up that morning or travelling to the game.

'˜We took him to hospital for a precautionary CT scan.

'˜He has come out of hospital with a short-term memory. That means he has little recollection of the past two days.

'˜It means he will be ruled out for at least two weeks until he has a further assessment.'

The visitors also lost Dan Woodward before half-time with a broken nose.

For the second successive week Carter's side also endured horrific travel problems on the M4.

This time they had a tyre blow-out on the motorway which meant they arrived late for the game.

Moneyfields, however, did not allow the setback to affect their performance and they delivered a stylish win. 

'˜The M4 is proving to be a real nightmare for us,' said Carter.

'˜We worked out that we have been up and down it seven times already this season in the league and cup.

'˜It will be nice to play some home games having only had two in the league so far.

'˜Unlike last weekend we didn't allow it to derail us.

'˜We knew that it was going to be a scrap and we dug in.

'˜It took us a little while to get going but won convincingly in the end.'

Striker Steve Hutchings proved the difference between the two sides.

The powerful striker scored twice and had a hand in both the other goals.

He scored the only goal of the first half with a cool finish.

After the break he set Lloyd Rowlatt up for Moneys' second before clipping a shot into the bottom corner to double his tally. 

The win was sealed when the goalkeeper blocked another Hutchings shot but 17-year-old Matt Simm followed up to score his first goal for the club.