Latest: Sunderland ownership saga takes new twist with Portsmouth rivals set to beat Preston North End and Wigan Athletic to in-demand defender

The League One transfer and recruitment talk continues to emerge. Here’s the latest from around the division.

By Jordan Cross
Thursday, 5th May 2022, 3:11 pm
William Storey has launched a new bid to buy Sunderland
William Storey has launched a new bid to buy Sunderland

Sunderland ownership saga continues

Sunderland’s ownership saga has taken another bizarre twist after energy drinks tycoon William Storey launched a £42m bid to takeover the club.

A consortium fronted by Storey is again at the forefront of speculation linked to a move to buy the Black Cats, after his attempts to buy the outfit failed in 2020.

Sign up to our Portsmouth FC newsletter

Jack Iredale (Photo by Jacques Feeney/Getty Images)

His most recent proposal is to buy out all four of the current owners in order to take up full control of the club.

It is believed the bid is supported by ORIGIN Sports Group - an investment company which has previously been involved in the PGA Tour and America’s Cup.

The drinks manufacturer returned to the fray earlier in the year, after declaring interest in the Wearsiders after it had been revealed that Madrox group partners Stewart Donald, Juan Satori and Charlie Methven still held a majority stake in the club.

Despite the trio stating their desire to sell their 59% shares, chairman Kyril Louis-Dreyfus is committed to Sunderland after he was believed to have bought the club in 2021

Defender’s hot to Trot

Bolton are closing in on Cambridge’s Jack Iredale, according to reports.

The left-back is out of contract at the Abbey Stadium and has been linked with moves to Preston and Wigan.

But it’s the Trotters who are said to be in pole position to land the Scottish-born Australia age-group international.

Cambridge boss Mark Bonner has told the Cambridge News he expects the 26-year-old to move on this summer.

He told the Cambridge News: ‘He has had an excellent season and there have been contracts on the table for months for him.

‘We haven’t heard back on them, so we’re obviously not quite expecting that to be honest.

‘We imagine that he’ll move on in the summer, and he’s been linked with every club in the world since.’

Owls should Ban thoughts of midfielder exit

Sheffield Wednesday talisman Barry Bannan has urged his club to do everything possible to retain the services of Massimo Luongo.

The midfielder is out of contract at Hillborough this summer after arriving at the club from QPR in 2019.

But Bannan believes the Owls should be doing everything to retain the services of the Aussie.

He told Yorkshire Live: ‘He (Luongo)] has been brilliant. He has been a big part of it and when he plays it makes my life a lot easier because I can go off and do the things I enjoy doing and he can do the things he says he doesn’t like doing, but he does because he does it every week!

‘He’s been a big part of why we’ve turned a corner, a massive part of the club that has been here a while now, he’s experienced and he’s the type of person you want next to you going into these sort of games.’

Tykes trial for Leeds teen

Leeds midfielder Owen Bray has joined Barnsley on trial after their relegation to League One.

The 19-year-old has been linked with a move to League One champions Wigan.

Bray had a trial at the Latics but has now moved on Oakwell in an efford to earn himself a deal for next season.

The Irishman has picked up an EFL Trophy outing for Leeds in 202, but will now aim to impress in an outing for the Tykes’ under-23 side.