Portsmouth into FA Cup third round after putting SIX past King's Lynn

Pompey are in the hat for the FA Cup third round after routing King’s Lynn Town.

Saturday, 28th November 2020, 4:50 pm
Updated Saturday, 28th November 2020, 6:21 pm
Tom Naylor celebrates his goal against King's Lynn. Picture: Joe Pepler
Tom Naylor celebrates his goal against King's Lynn. Picture: Joe Pepler

The Blues ensured there would be no giant-killing after cruising to a 6-1 victory against their non-league visitors

Rasmus Nicolaisen and Tom Naylor put Kenny Jackett’s side in control at the break.

Then Sean Raggett, Marcus Harness, an Ellis Harrison penalty and a Jordy Hiwula strike put the gloss on the home side’s easy success.

Pompey made the best start possible and were ahead inside two minutes. Cam Pring whipped in an inviting corner and Nicolaisen rose highest to head home into the bottom corner.

To their credit, King’s Lynn made a good response and Sonny Carey forced a fine stop out of Alex Bass.

Then Simon Power’s effort went just wide, with Bass this time rooted to his spot and beaten.

But on 30 minutes, Pompey increased their advantage to knock the stuffing out of their non-league visitors.

Ronan Curtis’ cross wasn’t cleared properly and the ball fell kindly to Naylor outside the area. His eyes lit up and he arrowed a first-time shot into the top corner via the post for his fifth goal of the season.

The Blues dominated the rest of the half, with Curtis’ long-range effort crashing against the bar, while Marcus Harness had a goalbound header blocked by team-mate Ellis Harrison.

And it was game, set and match seven minutes into the second period. Curtis’ deep corner picked out Raggett, who nodded home easily to bag his second goal in as many games.

Harness got in on the act in the 58th minute when the hosts broke at pace and the forward’s left-footed effort gave Lynn keeper Archie Mair no chance.

There was at least some cheer for the away side in the 68th minute when they notched a consolation goal. Substitute Dayle Southwell’s drilled effort from close range found the far corner, denying Bass a clean sheet.

Yet that was as good as it got for the Norfolk visitors and their misery would be compounded on 72 minutes.

Ross Barrow was adjudged to have brought down Pring inside the area and Harrison stepped up to tuck the penalty home.

Pompey showed no signs of downing tools and increased their lead further with 10 minutes left.

Hiwula bent home a sublime right-foot shot into the top corner for his first goal for the club since arriving last month.

Harness and John Marquis both went close to making the win more emphatic but the Blues had to settle for six.

They’re now safely in the draw for Monday night’s third-round draw – and have a chance to face a big Premier League team.