Portsmouth outline position over Alex Bass following Crystal Palace's interest in keeper

Pompey have told suitors for Alex Bass: We’re not looking to sell.

Wednesday, 26th August 2020, 6:16 pm
Updated Wednesday, 26th August 2020, 6:34 pm

And Blues assistant manager Joe Gallen revealed there hasn’t been any firm bids for their promising young keeper, with Crystal Palace keen on the 22-year-old.

The Eagles made an enquiry for the home-grown talent last month, after his hurtling emergence over the second half of the season at Fratton Park.

They have yet to follow up that interest with a firm bid, however, as they look to restructure their keeping options.

Sign up to our Portsmouth FC newsletter

Palace have three keepers at their disposal, with Vicente Guaita being linked with a move to Spanish side Real Betis and former Pompey keeper Stephen Henderson a back-up option, leaving Wayne Hennessey as their other choice between the sticks.

Gallen explained he was aware of all the noise surrounding Bass and Palace, but confirmed that had not turned into anything concrete.

And the Pompey No2 stated the club were perfectly happy with that situation.

He said: ‘No, we’re not at all (looking to sell Bass).

Pompey's Alex Bass

‘It’s for Mark (Catlin) and the hierarchy first if a bid comes in, and then goes to Kenny.

‘We’ve got two very good keepers.

‘Alex is young and needs to play games really.

‘There’s been talk but no bids or no talking about it between us and other clubs - so Bassy stays with us.

‘I heard all the rumours back at that time, but there was never an official approach made.’

If Bass’ situation remains the same it leaves Pompey with two senior keepers to vie for the No1 spot, with American Duncan Turnbull set to be sent out on loan and Taylor Seymour also at the club.

Kenny Jackett is working with a senior squad of 19 players at present and spaces available for an additional three players over the age of 21, as part of the new salary cap and squad restrictions.

Gallen explained they are perfectly comfortable with the size of the group they’re working with.

He added: ‘I think in general Bassy and the rest of the team are very settled - and that’s really good news for us.’

A message from the editor

Thank you for reading this story. The dramatic events of 2020 are having a major impact on our advertisers and thus our revenues.

The News is more reliant than ever on you taking out a digital subscription to support our journalism. You can subscribe here for unlimited access to Portsmouth news and information online.

Every subscription helps us continue providing trusted, local journalism and campaign on your behalf for our city.