Wigan chief says no permission for clubs to speak to former Portsmouth boss Paul Cook amid reported interest from Sunderland

Wigan have stressed no clubs have been granted permission to speak to former Pompey boss Paul Cook amid reported interest from Sunderland.

Wednesday, 16th October 2019, 12:28 pm
Updated Wednesday, 16th October 2019, 12:42 pm
Former Pompey boss Paul Cook. Picture: Joe Pepler/Digital South.

Cook was one of the early front-runners with the bookmakers for the vacant Black Cats job after they sacked Jack Ross earlier this month.

An online report claimed the ex-Fratton Park manager was interested in the Stadium of Light role.

Sign up to our Portsmouth FC newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Yet his odds have drifted drastically and Wigan chief executive Jonathan Jackson has stressed no other sides can discuss terms with Cook.

Speaking at a fans’ forum, he said: ‘No club have been given permission to speak to our manager.

‘If any club had approached us, we would have to respect their privacy.’

Phil Parkinson is currently the long odds-on favourite to take charge at Sunderland, while Wycombe supremo Gareth Ainsworth is also said to be in the running.