Ten-man Hawks held at home by Dulwich Hamlet

Ten-man Hawks battled to a 0-0 National South draw against Dulwich Hamlet at Westleigh Park.

Saturday, 8th February 2020, 5:00 pm
Updated Saturday, 8th February 2020, 5:00 pm
Simon Walton was sent off for the Hawks in the first half. Picture: Dave Haines

Despite having Simon Walton sent off in the first half, the home side were the better team and went closest to snatching the win.

The home side made one change to the team that beat Weymouth 3-2 in midweek.

Craig Robson replaced the injured Sam Magri in the heart of the defence.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Robson had the ball in the net following a header from Josh Taylor's long throw-in, but the referee had already blown for a foul.

The visitors were then incensed when the recalled defender brought Danny Mills down as the attacker looked to go clear just inside the Hawks half.

Robson was booked as the referee adjudged he wasn't the last defender.

On 17 minutes home keeper Ross Worner had to produce an acrobatic save to push out a well-struck 20-yard effort from Kieran Monlouis.

There was a let-off for the hosts when Walton lost possession, giving Mills a clear run on goal.

The striker took too much time, though, and eventually Monlouis shot straight at Worner.

Andy Drury went close to putting the Hawks ahead in the 37th minute following a great burst down the right by Benny Read

Drury's shot was half-saved and a defender got back to clear off the line.

For the second game in succession, the Hawks were reduced to 10 men.

Four minutes before half-time Drury gave the ball away and Walton was shown the red card for bringing Mills down just outside the area.

Wes Fogden replaced Drury at the start of the second half.

Jonah Ayunga had a glorious opportunity 12 minutes after the break, but he blazed over from a good position.There was an even better chance soon afterwards when Robson somehow fired wide of an open goal.

The hard-working Hawks continued to nullify any Dulwich threats and the visitors seemed to run out of ideas as the second half progressed.

Substitute Alfie Rutherford almost got on the end of a knock-down in front of goal seven minutes from time.

Ayunga then had a shot from the edge of the area blocked for a corner as the game finished in a goalless draw.