Lee Bradbury: Havant & Waterlooville deserved Dagenham defeat

Lee Bradbury felt the Hawks lacked intensity and power as they lost 3-1 at Dagenham & Redbridge in the Vanarama National League.

By The Newsroom
Tuesday, 27th November 2018, 9:31 pm
Updated Tuesday, 8th January 2019, 9:58 pm
Jonah Ayunga scored for the Hawks. Picture: Chris Moorhouse
Jonah Ayunga scored for the Hawks. Picture: Chris Moorhouse

The Hawks boss saw his team well beaten despite a late consolation from Jonah Ayunga.

He said: '˜We just didn't get out of the traps.

'˜They could have been 2-0 up in the first 10 minutes.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

'˜This was a shock for us.

'˜They picked up too many second balls.

'˜Our decision making without the ball was nowhere near good enough.

'˜We need to be playing with a lot more intensity and power.

'˜Their front four were very mobile and quick.

'˜We couldn't deal with it at times.

'˜I was pleased to see Jonah Ayunga get another goal.

'˜It was one of the only times we won a header in their defensive third.

'˜They were better than us and deserved to win.'

The visitors made one change to their starting line-up with Andreas Robinson replacing the injured Theo Lewis.

Dagenham started well, while the Hawks had to make a change with the injured Rory Williams replaced by Bradley Tarbuck after only five minutes.

The pressure was relentless and it was no surprise when the home side took a seventh-minute lead.

From a short corner Conor Wilkinson waltzed past two defenders and smashed the ball high into the net from an acute angle.

When the visitors stole a ball deep in the home half  Ayunga forced a good diving save from Elliott Justham.

It was soon 2-0 five minutes after the break.

Wilkinson scored with a good shot on the turn from the edge of the area. The Hawks lifted their tempo in a bid to hit back with Aaron Cosgrave and Tyler Cordner going close.

But on 74 minutes it was 3-0.

Balanta was allowed to run 30 yards through the Hawks defence and net. Six minutes from the end Ayunga latched onto a long ball over the top and neatly lobbed the ball over the stranded goalkeeper for what proved a consolation goal.