Victory sees City ladies boost promotion hopes

City of Portsmouth's ladies finished the first half of the season with a 3-1 win against Fleet & Ewshot.

Wednesday, 14th December 2016, 1:56 pm
Updated Thursday, 15th December 2016, 11:22 am
Ellie McMaster scored three times for City of Portsmouth. Picture: Lucy Smith

The victory was enough to close the gap on Hampshire Area division two league leaders New Forest and boost their promotion chances.

City had to battle hard in the first half but eventually the Fleet & Ewshot defence caved and Ellie McMaster netted her first of three just before half-time.

The second half continued in an end-to-end fashion and McMaster managed to get her second of the day following some great work from the forwards.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Right before the end, McMaster then whacked in another to complete her hat-trick and make it 3-0 to the home side.

Fleet & Ewshot claimed a consolation, following some dodgy defending by goalkeeper Harriet Read.

The player of the match was awarded to Lauren Civil-Holt.

Their was little to shout about for the men’s firsts, though, after they lost 5-1 at Salisbury.

City travelled in a confident mood after their victory against Fareham and started superbly, forcing the Salisbury keeper into three or four saves.

However, it was the hosts who opened the scoring before half-time.

The visitors regrouped but found clear-cut chances hard to create until Stuart Avery fired across the D for Ian Cheshire to deflect the ball in for the equaliser.

Salisbury, though, struck back immediately to make it 2-1 and added two further goals to add gloss to the scoreline.

The defeat sees City end the first half of the season with three wins and one draw from their 11 league games.

Their was better news for the men’s second team, however, after they beat rivals Portsmouth & Southsea 4-0 for their first win of the season.

The visitors applied early pressure, but it wasn’t long until the home side took control with a classy goal.

Daniel Brettell hit a shot straight into the gut of the Portsmouth keeper, but made no mistake as he slotted the ball home with the rebound.

City kept up the pressure and extended their lead before the break through Jim Clarke.

That was then quickly followed by a third goal, this time scored by Martin King.

The second half saw the hosts continue to dominate, but they were not as clinical in front of goal and could only add one more to their tally, with Alex Williams slotting the ball home from a short corner.

The victory was City’s first of the season and saw them move off the bottom of the table – and gain some much-needed confidence after what has been a difficult first half of the season.

Captain and stand-in keeper Alan Ball was awarded man of the match for his performance in goal.