Firework launched into bin and smoke pours into stairwell during bin fire spree in Portsmouth

A FIREWORK was ‘launched’ into a bin before a blaze broke out.

Wednesday, 28th October 2020, 11:03 pm
Updated Thursday, 29th October 2020, 9:24 am

The incident, in Seymour Close at around 6.30pm on Wednesday, was the second bin fire in the road – with another fire taking place at the back of Barrington House for the second time in a week.

Read More

Read More
Two boys arrested after man stabbed in neck

An hour later in King Albert Street, Landport, a wheelie bin was set alight in a bin shed resulting in smoke pouring into a stairwell of a nearby block of flats.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Fire crews attended

Two appliances from Southsea attended both sets of incidents before extinguishing the fires.

Firefighter Richard Sterning said: ‘There was a spate of fires in the run up to Fireworks Night. A resident saw someone launch a firework into a bin for the first fire.’

Referring to the King Albert Street fire, he added: ‘There was a lot of smoke going into a stairwell so we had to use specialist ventilation equipment to clear it.

‘There were no evacuees needed for any of the incidents.’

A message from the Editor, Mark Waldron

The News is more reliant than ever on you taking out a digital subscription to support our journalism.