Portsmouth police shut Southsea road after ‘fighting’ and ‘man stabbed in the chest’

POLICE have closed a section of Southsea road this morning after paramedics were seen working to ‘resuscitate’ a man ‘stabbed in the chest’.

Monday, 4th October 2021, 5:48 pm

Access to several houses and vehicles in Telephone Road has been closed off today after what neighbours have said was a ‘fight’ in the early hours of the morning.

A police officer is standing guard outside a mid-terrace home at the centre of the cordon.

Nearby resident Jarvis Sorae, 47, said he saw a man on the ground ‘stabbed right in the chest’ with ambulance crews working on him.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Police secure the area in Telephone Road, Southsea on Monday morning. Picture: Alex Shute

Mr Sorae was coming home from a night out after midnight when he saw the man outside on the pavement.

He said: ‘I think they were trying to resuscitate him. It was just after midnight.

‘(There were) police, paramedics. I don’t really know how the incident happened.

‘I just turned back and saw him on the floor and they’re trying to resuscitate him. It was strange.’

Police have closed a Southsea road this morning. Picture: Ben Fishwick

He added: ‘He was breathing before they took him to the ambulance. I think he was stabbed right in the chest.’

Read More

Read More
Portsmouth police appeal for help in finding 'vulnerable' missing woman from Cos...

One man, who did not want to be identified, said: ‘I heard a really bad sound.

‘I was really concerned. I heard just noises.’

Police secure the area in Telephone Road, Southsea on Monday morning. Picture: Alex Shute

The man said it sounded as if a fight was taking place.

A woman, who did not want to be named, said: ‘I just heard shouting at about 3am but the police were already there.’

George Carpenter, 75, said he first saw the cordon when his wife went to work at 6.50am.

He said: ‘The first I knew about it was when my wife went to work this morning.

‘Of course it was all taped off. I don’t know what’s happened.

‘Normally it’s pretty quiet, it’s usually pretty quiet.

‘It must be pretty serious if they’ve taped the road off.’

Hampshire police have been contacted for further details.

A message from the Editor, Mark Waldron

We’ve slashed the cost of digital subscriptions to our website by 50 per cent for a limited time.

You can now subscribe here for unlimited access to our online coverage, including Pompey, for less than 13p a day.